SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#121779 - 02/03/05 08:57 PM PreAmp your PAS .....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Tonight I used an external mixer with my Bose system for the first time, and it really stepped it up a notch! Seems the "00" preset(flat) workd like a charm with an external signal, and the result was fantastic. More headroom, and more sizzzzzzzle! I LIKE it !

Unfortunately, I will not have the mixer with me most of the time ... just one more thing to lug and hook up ..... I'll use it on special occasions and look forward to it!

#121780 - 02/03/05 09:31 PM Re: PreAmp your PAS .....
BlkNotes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Tonight I used an external mixer with my Bose system for the first time, and it really stepped it up a notch! Seems the "00" preset(flat) workd like a charm with an external signal, and the result was fantastic. More headroom, and more sizzzzzzzle! I LIKE it !

Unfortunately, I will not have the mixer with me most of the time ... just one more thing to lug and hook up ..... I'll use it on special occasions and look forward to it!

What type of mixer was it ( name/model)?? Was it a tubed line stage?? If not I wonder what the effect of such a set-up would be?? I was considering adding just such a preamp to a normal 2 channel sytem to obtain a more natural timberal & harmonically accurate sound reproduction. i.e. entering tubes somewhere into the digital chain

Do you use one or two of the Bose subwoofers. What is the advantage to adding 2 bose subwoofers/ what does this do to the overall sound?? ( I would presume that it would just add bass volume and impact)

Thanks
SCP

#121781 - 02/04/05 05:02 AM Re: PreAmp your PAS .....
Uncle Dave Offline

My mixer is a Toa D-3. Single space rackmount with 4 stereo channels. This is the Swiss Army mixer for sure. There are so many gazzinta's and gazzoutta's on it ..... very versitile.

As for B1 subs, I RARELY use the second one. Most of the rooms I play are small and the single sub is plenty. I do carrry it on every wedding/dance etc. because it balanced out the load on my R&R cart !(silly?)

I've found that the best placement for this woofer has been SIDEWAYS along a wall. Seems to put out the most tone that way, but I've NEVER been disapointed with the sound from day one.

The mixer definately improved how my mic and kb sounded. I think it juts might be worth the extra few minutes to set it up.

#121782 - 02/04/05 08:50 AM Re: PreAmp your PAS .....
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
A mixer is a good choice to use with any powered speaker system. Since it acts as a preamp for your keyboard, it provides a boosted signal level that gives a much fuller sound. It also makes the sound system quieter because you are not using the speaker's amplifier as a preamp.

#121783 - 02/07/05 09:38 AM Re: PreAmp your PAS .....
firehead Offline

Loc: thornwood, n.y. , usa
What channels do you plug your outputs of the mixer on the BOSE PAS. I usually plug my 8 channel Alesis Multimix into channel 3 & 4. Any input on this?

Larry

#121784 - 02/07/05 01:00 PM Re: PreAmp your PAS .....
Uncle Dave Offline

If you can get the desired signal from the external mixer, then ch 3 or 4 is the way to go. Using both serves no purpose, and if you need more EQ than the mixer provides, use ch 1 or 2.

#121785 - 03/27/05 07:44 AM Re: PreAmp your PAS .....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want to use an external mixer with my PAS. My question is: Can I disconnect the Bose two channel mixer if I'm using an external mixer? I was told that if the Bose mixer is disconnected the PAS would only work at half the power output. I have looked in the manual and see no information supporting this claim. Can somebody shed some light on this?

#121786 - 03/27/05 01:36 PM Re: PreAmp your PAS .....
BlkNotes Offline

" Seems the "00" preset(flat) workd like a charm with an external signal, and the result was fantastic. More headroom, and more sizzzzzzzle! I LIKE it !"

Dear Uncle Dave or Anyone else;

What exactly did you mean above when you said the combination had more sizzzzzle?

Regards;
BN

#121787 - 03/27/05 04:21 PM Re: PreAmp your PAS .....
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave,

I should have that Preamp kit by the end of the week, and if it works the way I hope, it may solve a lot of problems for a lot of folks, plus it may just add that same sizzle you're talking about. Should be intertesing.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#121788 - 03/30/05 08:40 AM Re: PreAmp your PAS .....
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Travlin'easy;

Can you describe what you mean by adding the "sizzle" by using a pre-ampin the PAS set-up?

Regards;
BN

#121789 - 03/31/05 12:02 PM Re: PreAmp your PAS .....
travlin'easy Offline

BN,

A stereo preamplifier provides increased signal stength to the line in of the PA system, which in some instances, will improve the quality of the signal to the point where there is significantly more clarity between the highs, mids and lows. Consequently, you get very crisp, distinct sounds instead of sounds that seem to be layered over each other or all mixed together. Naturally, you must also have a quality PA system as well or the preamp will not do a thing for you.

Cheers,

Gary

#121790 - 03/31/05 01:32 PM Re: PreAmp your PAS .....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Gary, just in case you don't know..the reason Dave has not responded, ..he had to go back to Florida to bring back Maureen's van and a trailer full of items...on the way back[S.Car.] they developed transmission problems...now they are shacked up in a motel, waiting for repairs.. Still wedding bliss, I guess..

#121791 - 03/31/05 04:34 PM Re: PreAmp your PAS .....
travlin'easy Offline

You mean the Honeymoon's not quite over--but almost...

Gary

#121792 - 03/31/05 07:26 PM Re: PreAmp your PAS .....
BlkNotes Offline

Thanks for the explaination Travlin`easy.

Regards;
BN

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online