SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#121434 - 02/05/03 05:41 PM What case do you recommend for the Tyros?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I'm hot on the trail to getting a Tyros! I need to know what cases with wheels you guys and gals have found that suits you and why.

At this time I don't think I would get the hardshell Yamaha Tyros case because it probably weighs more than the keyboard, not to mention the price.

Also, at this time I do not intend to get the Tyros speakers. I have two JBL Eon10 G2's that I can easily use for monitor and/or main.

Any info to consider like room for the brackets I think you have to attach for the music rack (I saw one post someplace where the guy uses two golf balls behind the keyboard to protect it!). Also prices can help, and where you got yours.

Thanx much.

Scott Langholff

I still plan to give my impressions as soon as I get a chance. But, I guess you can tell I LIKE it.

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 02-05-2003).]

#121435 - 02/05/03 06:15 PM Re: What case do you recommend for the Tyros?
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
Scott Yee got a soft case that he seems real pleased with that fit the Tyros perfect.....I think around $80. Kaces Porter if I recall right with wheels. Reach out to him on this.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#121436 - 02/05/03 07:08 PM Re: What case do you recommend for the Tyros?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Scott L,

Yep, Terry is right. The new Kaces Porter III, model #KKP9KB is the one I got, and it fits the Tyros perfectly in both length & width, including the mounted Tyros speaker brackets (but only after removing (with a hack saw) the useless protruding plastic piece I talked about in an earlier thread).The kb case height is about 2" taller than the kb is, but I just purchased a piece of 2" thick foam, cut to the same dimensions as the case interior (44.75" x 17"), and this provides added padding as well as holds the keyboard securely in the case.

I had also seriously considered the Yamaha brand specific (Signature series: model YBTyros) keyboard gig bag type case, but it's a bit LARGER, and costs more as well. I got the Kaces Porter case at my local music store for $99. It's thickly padded, and seems well constructed. My only disappointment is that the handle is not retractable like the earlier model Kaces Porter series (now discontinued) that I use for my PSR2000.
http://aceproducts.com/porter.html

Scott Y

#121437 - 02/05/03 07:19 PM Re: What case do you recommend for the Tyros?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Scott,

I purchased the Yamaha YBP200 keyboard bag for the PSR 9000 and now I use it for the Tyros. It's oversized for the Tyros which allows me to put cables, pedals and a blanket over the keyboard. It's padded, has inline skate wheels, and is not very heavy.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=...l/base_id/42350

Check it out.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#121438 - 02/05/03 07:34 PM Re: What case do you recommend for the Tyros?
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi ScottY

YIKES!! You had to saw something off? That sounds scary to me. Oh, it looks like your talking about the speaker brackets rather than the music rack brackets. Is that correct? I don't plan on getting those Tyros speakers. I see no point since I have two JBL Eon10 G2's. I really want to stay away from Yammies speakers.

The padding as I read your desciption sounds like it fills the entire bottom (or top) and that the case is actually thicker (say 8" rather than maybe the 6" that is needed).?

Does it look just like the picture on the link you gave? Or is it still all black (I hope), either way I'm sure it does the job.

As far as the handle, are you saying it's stationary?

Thanx

Scott Langholff

P.S. Interesting to note it's made in China. I don't know what made me ever think of that being a Kraut.

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 02-05-2003).]

#121439 - 02/05/03 09:27 PM Re: What case do you recommend for the Tyros?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi ScottY

YIKES!! You had to saw something off? That sounds scary to me. Oh, it looks like your talking about the speaker brackets rather than the music rack brackets. Is that correct?

YES. Actually, you could just leave the protuding piece of the speaker bracket attached, and STILL be able to fit the Tyros (with speaker brackets) into the Kaces Porter case, but it would be a rather TIGHT fit, and of more concern, put all the weight of the kb on each of the protruding pieces. I opted to remove the protruding plastic as it really serves NO USEFUL purpose whatsoever, and does NOT compromise the strength of the bracket. I DON'T use the flimsy Tyros music stand (or it's brackets) so this is not an issue for me.

Quote:
Hi ScottY
I don't plan on getting those Tyros speakers. I see no point since I have two JBL Eon10 G2's. I really want to stay away from Yammies speakers.

I prefer the Tyros speakers because they are aimed optimally upward towards your ears, and can also be swiveled (left/right) making it idea for 'personal monitoring' purposes during live performance.

Quote:

The padding as I read your desciption sounds like it fills the entire bottom (or top) and that the case is actually thicker (say 8" rather than maybe the 6" that is needed).?

Yes. The Kaces Porter KKP9KB fits the Tyros perfects in length in width but is just a few inches taller (thicker) than the Tyros's height. I put the Tyros into the case, and then place the 2" thick foam on top to keep the Tyros from moving around during transport. This also provides added padding to the TOP of the Tyros.

Quote:
Hi ScottY
Does it look just like the picture on the link you gave? Or is it still all black (I hope), either way I'm sure it does the job.

It's basically black but with some accented grey. Very nice looking imho.

Quote:
Hi ScottY
As far as the handle, are you saying it's stationary?

NO, the handle swivels on a hinge.

Quote:
Hi ScottY
P.S. Interesting to note it's made in China. I don't know what made me ever think of that being a Kraut.

then. . . You might be even MORE SURPRISED to discover that the Tyros too, is made in China . . .

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-05-2003).]

#121440 - 02/05/03 10:26 PM Re: What case do you recommend for the Tyros?
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi ScottY

Thanx again for input. Actually, I was referring to the Tyros being made in China, at least thats what I was thinking but probably not apparent from everything else.

I am pleased it is made in China. I have bought a number of electronics from there and it truly is the biggest bang for the buck, everything has ALWAYS worked great from there in the recent past. I feel a lot more comfortable than with the PSR2000 made in Malasia (sp?)

My guess is however, if it is made in China and for the price they sell the Tyros for, which I think is relatively reasonable, that somebody, somewhere along the line is making a bunch of money. (After one figures the research and development of course)

Scott Langholff

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online