SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#121422 - 09/09/00 03:03 AM Variphrase on PSR9000?
Clif Anderson Offline

While “Variphrase” is Roland trademark for a technology that combines a number of sample-processing technologies, one important feature of Variphrase technology may be available on a few synths from other manufacturers. One Variphrase capability is to change the pitch of a sample without changing its character, e.g., without it sounding like a chipmonk at high pitches and like a drone at low pitches. Of course, this is what vocal harmony processors do in real time for vocal inputs. What I would like to do is use a vocal harmony processor to control the pitch of user samples.

If the sample is generated by a device other than the vocal arranger, then the problem is solved. Simply input a fixed pitch sample into the vocal arranger mic input (matching gains as appropriate) and put the vocal harmony processor in chromatic mode.

But if the arranger is a sample, then we want to use it to generate the sample. It would be nice if the arranger manufacturer allowed a sample to be routed through the harmony processor. Do any of them do this? My PSR8000 does not do this. I am reading the PSR9000 manual (that Yamaha kindly makes available on the web), and it is not designed to do this.

However, it appears that the PSR9000 can be kludged to apply chromatic vocal harmony to its samples. How? Take a sample. Assign a fixed pitch so the pitch does not vary with key press. Assign the sample to a right-hand part. Route the selected right-hand part to a subout. Wire the subout (warning: check this electrically) to the mic in. Put the vocal harmonizer in chromatic mode. Result: only the processed sample will be heard, and its pitch will vary with the key played. However, as with realtime vocal input, the character of the sound will be preserved over a relatively wide pitch range.

Unfortunately, this technique is not useful for my PSR8000. The PSR8000 has a loop send, but it can only be used to send everything through the harmonizer. This approach would turn my arranger into a monophonic Variphrase player. With the PSR9000, one could have a monophonic Variphrase lead over autoaccompaniment.

I would like to know if this idea really works. Also, do any synths allow use of vocal harmony as an internal effects processor so the external routing is not necessary?

This technique should work with the Korg PA-80 with vocal harmony option. What about the Solton X1? Also, PSR9000Pro (to be announced) may allow a second vocal harmony board so it would allow vocal harmony and Variphrase concurrently. A possible generic term for this capability might be "formant-sensitive harmony".

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 09-09-2000).]

#121423 - 09/09/00 03:13 AM Re: Variphrase on PSR9000?
Clif Anderson Offline

Variphrase technology is not getting very good press these days. Quality control for Roland’s VP9000 is being criticized in the General Discussion forum, and, in this forum, the Variphrase samples “become old quickly”.

However, taking ideas from the expression thread on this forum, I see some real musical utility to Variphrase technology. In the expression thread, the technique of using a volume pedal or other continuous controller to bring one sound in behind another was discussed. Uncle Dave has been using this technique for 10 years. I have been playing with it recently. I like using a real instrument for the base sound and bring it on occasion a natural sounds such as a vocal phrase or an animal sound. My favorite is to bring in a wolf howling to add a certain hauting ambience to a piece.

I downloaded a wolf sample from the Internet. It sounds great coming in on sustained flute notes. However, it sounds good over less than an octave. Outside that range, the distortion detracts from the effect. I could make the howl fixed pitch, but then it would not blend as well with the flute. Variphrase would allow me to use the sample over a wider range. A Roland VA-7 would provide this capability, but most of the time, I want a vocal harmonizer for my voice, so I am not going to get a Roland VA7.

Note to manufacturers: I would like to be able to use one vocal harmonizer in chordal mode with a mic input and a second vocal harmonizer in vocorder mode for processing user samples.

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 09-12-2000).]

#121424 - 09/10/00 06:41 PM Re: Variphrase on PSR9000?
Shakil Offline

Hey Clif
YAMAHA 9000PRO can take PLG cards. So when put a Vocal Harmony plugin card, it appears as an "INSERT EFFECT". You can apply that to any part. Audio IN or one of the 32 parts. This way you have Vocal Harmony throught built in processor, and Variphrase with the VH Plugin card.

#121425 - 09/10/00 08:55 PM Re: Variphrase on PSR9000?
Clif Anderson Offline

Thanks Shakil. I was sort of hoping that would work. And since the Pro has two plug-in slots, I can still put in a VL card. Could you or someone clarify what an "insert effect" is and why it is called that?

#121426 - 09/11/00 12:40 PM Re: Variphrase on PSR9000?
Ralf Behrmann Offline

Loc: Frankfurt/M;Germany
Dear Clif;
I understand only very few things from this.

But the famous former Yamaha Dr.physicist Th.
Abgarjan told me some weeks ago,that the Variphrase technology is an "old one" and implemented in the PSR-Vocalizers and he also knew a trick to use it fot voices.I didnt understand,what he said.

So it seems to me that you are absolutely right.I sent him the whole content of what was written here.

Best regards

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online