SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#121365 - 08/25/01 10:52 PM psr 2000 or 9000pro???
merlin2812 Offline

Hello,
The psr 2000 is coming out soon I guess (!!), and I was wondering about the differences with the 9000pro(other than numbers of keys, speakers...)
The 2000 will be pretty more affordable, so the question would be: what has the 9000 pro that really makes the difference????
Some people were comparing the 740 with the 9000, saying that the differences were not so great, what about now with the 2000??
It's really getting confusing!
And my last question: I see that the psr 2000 will have the score editing feature (wich is, to me, a GREAT tool, but nobody's interessed in it...), no way to have that feature on the pro????
Thanks to all for your answerss!

Merlin

#121366 - 08/26/01 08:09 AM Re: psr 2000 or 9000pro???
Beakybird Offline

I don't think the PSR 2000 will really compare with the PSR 9000 Pro, but it might be a better run for the money.

The PSR 9000 Pro has about 40 more voices. Not that many, but significant if they're really great voices.

The PSR 9000 Pro has sampling capability.

The PSR 9000 Pro has more keys and semi-weighted keys and aftertouch. You're going to get a much better piano feel.

The PSR 9000 Pro has a hard drive (Or just HD capability?) where you can store many many styles, samples, and registrations. The PSR 2000 has flash rom: just 1 mb.

On the plus side for the PSR 2000, as compared to the PSR 740, it will have direct disk play from floppy. This is from a Yamaha rep, but I am waiting to get this confirmed. If this is not true, musicians will have to delete from their measley 1 mb of style rom (if it's full) during a performance in order to load a new style.

The PSR 9000 Pro takes expansion cards that expand wave rom and allow for such things as emulation of wind instrument sounds and killer organ sounds.

The PSR 9000 Pro has SCSI connection to the computer.

The PSR 9000 Pro has video out.

The PSR 9000 Pro has double the polyphany.

How can you really compare these two keyboards?

If you are mostly interested in onboard styles and sounds, it looks like the PSR 2000 will come pretty close to the PSR 9000. There is someone making a chart comparing these three keyboards.

I am planning on purchasing the PSR 2000 when it comes out (If it indeed has direct disk style play). I can just barely afford the PSR 9000 (If it's true that you can buy them in some places for $2000). But the PSR 2000 is much lighter, and since I do several music programs at some schools where I carry my keyboard in one hand and a box of musical instruments on a luggage cart, this would be a pretty tall order with the PSR 9000, when I myself weigh only 135 lbs.

So the two advantages of the PSR 2000 are: Much cheaper and much lighter.

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 08-26-2001).]

#121367 - 08/26/01 12:46 PM Re: psr 2000 or 9000pro???
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I am assuming that the above comparison is valid and I would like to comment about them:

"The PSR 9000 Pro has about 40 more voices."

- The question is what quality and not how many! If those 40 new voices are truely superb and they are the best of the best, that is it. PSR9K is a different beast. but if the best sounds of PSR9Kpro are in PSR2k, even if PSR9kpro has 1000 more voices, it really does not matter. What is the deal? The best sounds of PSR9K are already in PSR740 (I heard them with my own ears) and therefore, they will be already in PSR2k unless Yamaha does something wrong.

"The PSR 9000 Pro has sampling capability"

-That is nice if you are going to do sampling. I do, so for me I will be needing it. How about yourself? Do you really need it?

"The PSR 9000 Pro has more keys and semi-weighted keys and aftertouch. You're going to get a much better piano feel."

- If you are buying PSR9Kpro for the piano-sake, do not bother. May I recommend, P80 or XV88 or Kurzweil's new controller? I tested the piano and it is lacking. The more keys are good but the less keys means portable and lighter ... I learned this the very hard way.

"The PSR 9000 Pro has a hard drive (Or just HD capability?) where you can store many many styles, samples, and registrations. The PSR 2000 has flash rom: just 1 mb."

- Harddrive is very nice and worth it. The flash rom is nice only if the user is equipped with flash burning utility onboard of the keyboard to add his own styles. Nevertheless, if the flash can only be updated by the manufacturer or by updating the OS, then it is useless for styles or sounds. 1meg is good for some styles and some sounds but does not count for professional storage.

"The PSR 9000 Pro takes expansion cards"

- I hate expansion cards. how about you make everything already installed and built in for the same price. That is a point against PSR9kpro.

"The PSR 9000 Pro has SCSI connection to the computer."

- big time big deal! people and companies are moving away from SCSI. How about built in CD-writer or 2GIG jazz drive.

"The PSR 9000 Pro has video out"

- nice, but I never used that feature although my keyboard is equipped with one.

"The PSR 9000 Pro has double the polyphany"

- PSR2k has at least 64 note polyphoney which is more than adequate for any professional keyboard.

"On the plus side for the PSR 2000, as compared to the PSR 740, it will have direct disk play from floppy. This is from a Yamaha rep, but I am waiting to get this confirmed. If this is not true, musicians will have to delete from their measley 1 mb of style rom (if it's full) during a performance in order to load a new style."

-- direct disk play is not good enough. The keyboard really needs memory-backed RAM or (harddrive and RAM). that is a big plus for PSR9kpro over all the PSR lines.

So in conclusion, Yamaha took away from PSR2k the one good feature that will make it blow away PSR9kpro which is: the harddrive and ram! So that is the question here, do you really need that harddrive?

P.S., also...did they add "copy", "cut" and "paste" to the sequencer? If not, do not count on the sequencer of PSR2k.

[This message has been edited by sk880user (edited 08-26-2001).]

#121368 - 08/26/01 02:33 PM Re: psr 2000 or 9000pro???
merlin2812 Offline

Hello,

thanks for your replies... They are really usefull to me! Now, what about this:
MOTIF8+PSR2k VS PSR9Kpro???
It's almost the same price, I think, and the motif adds the 88hammer action, sampler, ram, great sounds...
I'm really getting lost with all the gears out there, and they all cost so much! This doesn't allow any mistake! And I don't have enough experience to find out the potential of a gear after a few hours testing. (that's why I find this forum so great!!!!!)
So I guess I will go for the psr2k, wich is not that expensive, to find out with my own ears what what an arranger can do. Maybe will I be then more qualified to find the right gear for my taste??? We'll find out by then!

#121369 - 08/26/01 02:58 PM Re: psr 2000 or 9000pro???
Beakybird Offline

In my last post I stated that the PSR 9000 pro has numerous features that that the PSR 2000 will not have. I by no stretch of the imagination stated that these features are going to be useful for everyone.

The Cool! Sweet and Live voices that the PSR 9000 has are Yamaha's newest voices, and I'm sure they're fantastic even though I haven't heard them. I just know that the Sweet voices on the PSR 740 are incredible.

It would be ludicrous for someone to purchase a PSR 9000 Pro just for its semi-weighted keys. Who's going to do that? I merely stated that it was a feature that the PSR 2000 does not have.

And Mr. Sk880 user, just because you don't like to use expansion cards, should I not list it as one of the features that the PSR 9000 Pro has? The person who started this thread wanted to know what difference there was between the two keyboards, and I tried my best to answer his question. Should I have attempted not to list features that you, SK880user, do not desire?

I, myself, would never in a million years use a video out, but I thought that to answer someone's question, I should mention it.

For those who want many of these features: tons of voices and styles, a sampler, weighted keys, advanced sequencing capabilities, scsi out, video out, hard drive, ability to program multi pads and one-touch settings for each style, immediate access to which intros and endings, expansion card capability - for someone who wants all of these features without needing onboard speakers, and for someone with a lot of disposable income, the PSR 9000 Pro is the way to go.

If you want the onboard speakers or need something less heavy or have less money to spend, then the PSR 2000 is the way to go.

For someone who owns a PSR 740, direct from floppy style play is a great advantage. With the PSR 9000 Pro I believe you can play a style directly from floppy and directly from the hard drive. Of course, the Pro blows the PSR 2000 away.

If Yamaha gave the PSR 2000 a hard drive, many potential PSR 9000 customers would be buying the PSR 2000 and spending the $1000 saved on other things, like rent.

The PSR 9000 Pro has dozens of features that the PSR 2000 will not have. The PSR 2000 will have better price, onboard speakers, and lighter weight.

Larry

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 08-26-2001).]

#121370 - 08/26/01 05:00 PM Re: psr 2000 or 9000pro???
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Well the PSR2000 has been set as a replacement for the PSR740. It offers a mid way step between the mighty 9000 and the 740, and adds quite a few of the sounds and features of the 9000. The 9000 pro is quite different to the 2000, the 2000 will have most probably 16MB of AWM voices whilst the 9000 pro I believe has 48MB.. quite a difference! The BIG difference that the likes of the 9000 and 9000 pro offer over the smaller keyboards is storage capabilities and expansion options. With the 2000 you wont be able to add anything on or expand the keyboard later, though you can add styles of course and edit the onboard sounds to some degree. THe 9000 and pro offer sampling so you can add new waveforms add then create new voices, though I can imagine the effort involved in creating just one decent sound would be enormous!
Certainly for me the only reason for choosing a 9000 or 9000 pro over a 2000 would be for the extra sounds. I dont see the need for harddrive storage and scsi, or video output. However saying that, I would like the extra polyphony that both the 9000 and pro offer, as 64 sometimes is not enough.

I love the 740, and I am sure the 2000 is going to be a great value for money replacement. Unless you have heard the extra sounds of the pro or 9000 and honestly think they are good enough to warrant the extra dosh, and you feel that harddrive storage or expansion with extra voice technology would be useful for you then the 2000 should be fine. The 9000 and pro are seriously heavy keyboards though, we are talking in the 20kg region!!! The 2000 will be around 1/2 that weight. Also another thing, the 2000 doesnt have aftertouch, nice though not really essential.

Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#121371 - 08/26/01 08:32 PM Re: psr 2000 or 9000pro???
Beakybird Offline

Sorry for my rude reaction to Sk880user, incidentally.

I think that Merlin makes a good point that one can buy the Psr 2000 and another keyboard for the price of the PSR 9000 Pro.

For my studio, I purchased a Fatar SL 880 weighted key controller piano, Gigastudio, guitar samples, and a 2 gig piano sample. You can get the PSR 2000 and all this for less than the price of the PSR 9000 Pro, and the piano and guitar sounds I get are probably far superior.

Simon is very correct that these keyboards are quite different.

I wonder how the PSR 9000 Pro can have so much extra wave rom as compared to the PSR 2000, yet only have an extra 40 synth voices. Do these synth voices account for all that extra rom?

#121372 - 08/26/01 10:33 PM Re: psr 2000 or 9000pro???
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
...when I myself weigh only 135 lbs.

Wow! You are a small dude, Beakybird! I can see why you wouldn't want a 51 lbs. keyboard now!

And, Simon, don't you get tired of messing with dozens & dozens of floppies? Once you try a keyboard with built-in mass storage (HD, zip drive), you will begin to hate the floppy-disk shuffle. If only the 2000 had this...

Tom

#121373 - 08/27/01 07:16 AM Re: psr 2000 or 9000pro???
merlin2812 Offline

Thanks to all of you, il really helps a lot to have your opinion! After all the good things I was reading about the psr 9kpro, I was just waiting to save enough money to get one. But now, I think about getting first a mid-range board to experience myself the things you all are talking about (imagine that I never sampled anything... My knowledge about it is just theorical...) Since the prices are hight, I always wanted to get the best, to avoid regrets... But buying a cheaper board will help me to wait, and to find what board 'll feet me best!
I hope I'm making the right choice. If you have other comments, don't hesitate!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Merlin

#121374 - 08/27/01 09:02 AM Re: psr 2000 or 9000pro???
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You can get a used laptop AND the 2000 for less than the 9K. Then you won't miss the hard drive. That's what I may do, but I wish I could have both keyboards. Maybe I'll get a 2000 and wait for the 10,000 Super-duper Deluxe Pro Plus. ... or GEM, ... or . . .
DonM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online