SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#121273 - 10/14/05 02:25 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
what kind of music they play on their arranger, or how great their experience is, or how they use them.

For one person, only the styles in their particular favorite genre determines the worth of a keyboard

another may hate 'tweaking'

yet another may feel that the piano sound is the bellwether of perfection.

Don't forget that familiarity with a previous product goes a LONG way in determining how we feel about a new keyboard.

We've all spent a FORTUNE on these top-of-the-line Arrangers, so perhaps denigrating others is how we can justify the expense to ourselves

Dikki, I think your post hit the bulleye. - Scott

#121274 - 10/14/05 05:22 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
nielshs Offline

Hi Scottyee

I made a small demo. http://nielshs.homepage.dk

Do you like the sound? (not my singing)

#121275 - 10/14/05 05:34 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
Roel Offline

It looks Niels does not allow others to have an opinion on the G70, as long as it is not a positive one

To be honest Niels, this week I saw a G70 demo DVD, the playing artist is one of the best of the Netherlands: Leon Kuiper.

His playing was fantastic..... but the G70 is, like Rolandfan stated : The worst sounding expensive keyboard !! Still VERY VERY bad while the recording was done through a mixer-lineout.

How many G70 updates came last year ?
Every time I hear/read : Just wait until OSx.x is installed.....

I can guarantee you, none of new to come G70 OS-releases can change my view on G70.

Please do not mark comments to be 'stupid'. You should respect aother peoples' opinions.

Your demo :
Singing = 8 (of 10) Good warm sound
Sound = 5 (of 10)

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 10-14-2005).]

#121276 - 10/14/05 05:41 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by nielshs:
Hi Scottyee

Excellent !! Great clear sound and one of my favorite songs too!!
Could you share how you recorded it?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-14-2005).]

#121277 - 10/14/05 05:49 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
nielshs Offline

Hi Roel

IŽll take back the stupid thing, but to say that it is the worst sounding expensive keyboard? Thats nonsense.

#121278 - 10/14/05 05:54 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
nielshs Offline

Hi Dnj

I recorded the song in Wavelab. Just one track and no editing, just the "out of the box" sound.

#121279 - 10/14/05 06:54 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by nielshs:

nielshs: Wow, just heard your rendition of "Friends In Low Places". Was this a pre-recorded midi file sequence, or was it performed in auto-accomp mode? If this was indeed performed on the G70 in 'auto accomp mode', I concur, that the style sounds very clean & very pro. The tempo/groove really has a terrific lazy behind the beat feel almost impossible to capture with auto accomp loop styles. The violin lines/fills sound incredibly realistic, hard to believe coming fom an auto accomp style loop.

Ok, When I played the G70, version 1.10, both the styles & sound quality didn't sound anything like your song at all. The sound was covered in TONS of reverb, and the styles did not breathe the way it does in your song.

If indeed version 2.0 made THAT MUCH of any improvement in the style playback 'out of the box', the G70 is well definitely worth a second live audtion. Ok, who's the guy singing? Polished & authentic sounding Country vocals with twang. Were the vocals recorded currently while you played the G70?

Scott

#121280 - 10/14/05 07:09 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
Scottyee Offline

I certainly would love to hear a song utilizing a jazz style swing rhythm now, and performed & recorded in auto accomp mode on the G70. Any possibility of recording one neilsps? Thanks. - Scott

#121281 - 10/14/05 08:32 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I am waiting for the OS2.0 G70's to arrive sometime next week. I've been told by several of my customers who own the G70 with 1.10 and have upgraded via the USB cable to 2.0 that the keyboard sounds like a brand new keyboard.

Here in the USA, I have been given permission to sell the G70 to customers who call me from around the United States. I've been told that I am being used as a test market and that I am the only dealer with such permission.

George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#121282 - 10/14/05 10:47 PM Re: I thought you couldn't buy Roland G70 Online?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
I have played G70 live, though for only about 40 minutes - not nearly enough to have the full picture of all the capabilities, but enough to have an opinion. Having been a Roland user, I thought that both the styles and tones sounded great - very Roland-ish, and better than the ones in my G1000. I have not tried the Tyros2 to compare it to, and the G70 was running OS 1.10; however, I had no issue whatsoever with either sounds or styles, and had this been the only criteria, I would have bought it on the spot.

I have issues with the operating system - the fact that everything requires you to use the touch screen, which does not have a tactile feedback (unlike the physical buttons), and is prone to mis-selections (happened to me several times, even though I do not have particularly thick fingers).

I also think that having sliders which are non-motorized is a major distraction - I found myself looking at the positions of sliders to see if the mix needed to be adjusted (as if looking on a mixing board). But then I had to get back to realizing that even though a slider may be in the full-up position, the actual current setting has no relation to the slider. Only once you start moving the slider, does it start changing the part volume. Still, you have no way to tell which slider(s) have been moved, and which ones are still in the original positions, so you have to keep looking at the screen to see part volumes. This becomes more of a problem if you are trying to select a voice or style- the selection screens take up the the entire screen space, and the part volumes are hidden. The sliders are quite short, and it is hard to make fine adjustments with such short sliders.

These concerns, as well as substantial weight and high price of the G70 make me hesitate in deciding whether the G70 is an instrument for me.

Regards,
Alex

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online