SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#120882 - 10/01/00 12:05 AM Feasibility of Removing Speakers from PSR9000
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi all,

I'm interested in the PSR9000 but the thing thats keeping me away is the 'weight'. Ok you say, can't a 30 something guy even lift 50 lbs? Well.... a keyboard does not exactly have a compact/balanced form factor. A keyboard's dimensions are long & narrow and the weight is usally lopsided. On top of that, hauling the damned thing to/from gigs 3-4 times a day can be kinda hard on the back (at least mine).

I'm especially drawn to the PSR9000 because of its' advanced chord recognition capabilities. I know that DonM has toyed with the idea of removing the speakers (to reduce the weight). Is there anyone out there willing to actually explore these possiblities to completion? DonM?

I'd be interested in finding out exactly how many pounds the PSR9000 speakers weigh. I'm wondering if the keyboard would become highly unbalanced (weight wise) if the speakers were removed and then make it even harder to manuver than the keyboard with the speakers in tact.

I would have considered the PSR9000-Pro model because it does not have built in speakers. Problem is that the PSR9000-Pro includes 76 (weighted?) keys instead, so that might add up to a heavier weight than speakers. Anyone have the actual weight specs on the PSR9000-Pro?

- Scott

#120883 - 10/01/00 12:11 AM Re: Feasibility of Removing Speakers from PSR9000
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott, I still plan to open the case and look at the speaker situation. Just haven't made the time to do it yet. I'm betting the PSR90000 pro will be even heavier. I prefer the light "organ" touch anyway.
Maybe I can get around to doing it Wednesday. It's my only night off for a couple of weeks.
Don

#120884 - 10/01/00 04:42 AM Re: Feasibility of Removing Speakers from PSR9000
Clif Anderson Offline

I bet the PSR9000Pro is slightly lighter, since it uses the EX5 chassis, and the EX5 weights 44lbs.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online