SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#119292 - 07/01/01 06:25 AM Gone fishin' . . . . . . . .
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
As of 9:30 AM EST I'm outta here till Tuesday nite folks! I have two jobs at the Jersey shore, so I decided to make a mini vaca out of it. See you all on line late Tuesday!
" Woh, woh, woh, Oh those Wildwood days ! "
(Actually Atlantic City & Somers Point this trip) See ya !

#119293 - 07/01/01 08:13 AM Re: Gone fishin' . . . . . . . .
Dnj Offline

What? No laptop with wireless satelite internet, plus a remote dig cam with a "live" Video feed from your 2 shore gigs so we can enjoy the show on our P/C's? Plus phone in Cell phone "Requests"? sheeesh.... Dave lets get with the times dude! :>) hahahahah have a ball down the shore see ya when You get back!!

Donny NJ

#119294 - 07/03/01 10:38 AM Re: Gone fishin' . . . . . . . .
Uncle Dave Offline

Cell phones?? CELL PHONES ? ? ?
Don't get me started, Donny! My stinkin' Verizon Cell has NO service from right past your neighborhood(central NJ) all through the shore! It was worthless! I had no service at all at ANY NJ shore. Pitiful. I intend to write a strongly worded letter.......maybe the letter P.
hmmmmmm, is that strong enough?

#119295 - 07/03/01 10:56 AM Re: Gone fishin' . . . . . . . .
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Careful now, Dave, you're going to upset somebody at Verizon.

#119296 - 07/03/01 11:31 AM Re: Gone fishin' . . . . . . . .
Uncle Dave Offline

Oh, believe me - I INTEND to! This is unacceptable. I bought this stupid phone for just these types of gigs, and when I needed it - it was silent!
AAAGH !
Now...on to news from the trip:
I had the best night in Sea Isle City on Sunday. My friend (hostess) and I went on a walking/drinking tour of the island and visited 4 spots - most with live music.
First stop) An outdoor spot right along the promenade (sort of a boardwalk) with a guitar/vocal duo. Very high energy - Bruce, Buffett etc. very shore/rock influenced. The crowd was WAY into it - lots of young, barefoot people lovin' life and music......
UNTIL !!!!!..... The thunder storm from HELL hit with NO warning!
OH !
MY ! !
GOD ! ! !
I have never seen more rain in a shorter time ever! It was a nightmare! The band kept playing (Thunder Road, ironically) and we all huddled closer, under the tent which was flapping in the wind and pouring buckets of rainwater down every side edge! It was loud, wet, windy...and so much fun. We finished our drinks, and moved on.....
Second) The next stop was just to dry off and have a Margarita. There was no entertainment in the house but the news guy on TV was totally green, so that was fun. After the rain stopped - we moved on.....
Third) This was a WAY cool experience that made me so happy to reinforce my biggest belief about musical arranging - It was a coffee house that advertised a jazz trio. We saw them setting up....drums (ok).......bass (great)......and........TRUMPET! (what?)
NO rhythm instrument of any kind! NO chords! The basic, essential elements that I have OFTEN spoke of - melody, bass & drums. You'd think that it would sound empty, but NO WAY ! It was so clean, and uncluttered. I loved it. Jazz standards, and a few original tunes - hot cappachino and ice cream brownie sammiches! MMMmmmmmm!
Last stop was the feature performer for us - a female guitarist/singer that was just great. Joni Mitchell, Jewel, CSN&Y, JT - all the standard acoustic repertoire you'd expect with a nice style and a great sounding system. (Awesome - Takamine Santa Fe guitar - great instrument)
Our tour was complete - we saw R&R, jazz, & EZ listening - had coffee, sweets & alcohol - a banner night!
I just HAD to tell you all about the jazz trio - it was sooooooo cool. Chords? We don't need no stinking chords!
My point, exactly ........... to a tee! (or coffee, in this case!)

#119297 - 07/03/01 02:03 PM Re: Gone fishin' . . . . . . . .
Dnj Offline

Dave sounds like you had a ball. The best part is all this great entertainment ALONG THE NJ SHORE where you were is ABOUT AN HOUR AWAY OR LESS!
I'm only 12 miles from Seaside Hts. :>)

The cell phone thing is weird, I never had that problem anywhere except for little local pockets where there is no signal. But most ly it works everywhere. I wou;ld check you covereage and possibly the phone itself could be defective also.

Soooooooooooo, how did the 9k perform for you?

see ya tonight

donny

#119298 - 07/05/01 05:58 AM Re: Gone fishin' . . . . . . . .
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
U.D.

One of the stories that out lead sax player tells is one where he played a duo gig with just clarinet and string bass. He said it went fine.

Tom

Tom

#119299 - 07/05/01 06:39 AM Re: Gone fishin' . . . . . . . .
Uncle Dave Offline

That's all you need, if the players know what they're doing. I wouldn't want a steady diet of it, but the simplicity is wonderful.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online