SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#118157 - 02/09/05 07:08 PM MIDI keyboard help?
Arbaz Offline

Hello everyone, I need some help...can you guys tell me if a cheap keyboard with MIDI in & out will do the trick of a dedicated MIDI controller? Or are there some advantages of exclusive MIDI controller keyboards? Like edirol pcr50. Can't I simply program my computer software to respond to the fill in buttons and all those panel buttons of those cheap keyboards as MIDI control commands? why would I want to spend $200 on a MIDI controller keyboard while I can get an okey dokey keyboard with built in rhythms for $100 is it because of the looks for which I don’t care I will be using it exclusively at home, so help me guys.

#118158 - 02/09/05 07:37 PM Re: MIDI keyboard help?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Alot of the cost goes in quality and feel. Cheap keyboards will have a cheap plastic feel, and sometimes arent velocity and wont have aftertouch. more exspensive will get you hammer action, velocity, aftertouch and so on. It all depends on your needs. I think you will be happy with synth touch and velocity, such as http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=key/s=midi/search/detail/base_pid/709204/

For high budget and want pretty much the best, something like http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=key/s=midi/search/detail/base_pid/709203/ will be in your field.

Phil

#118159 - 02/10/05 04:34 AM Re: MIDI keyboard help?
Tom NL Offline

Loc: Holland
Hi Phil,

That Keystation Pro 88 is one great looking midi keyboard. All those programmable controllers should make it a great arranger with 88 keys if you got the right module hooked up.

I wonder how a combination of the Ketron Midjay, this keyboard and a pair of good monitor speakers would be like. If the Midjay allows you to assign all the functions for styles (intros, fills, endings etc) to different buttons, and the style and sound selection is user friendly this would be a killer setup!

------------------
Tom NL

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online