SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#118135 - 03/16/00 11:34 AM General Music Opinions Wanted
Gregg Bizier Offline

Loc: Plainville, MA
Hello,

There isn't much mention here of GM's arranger/workstations. I'd like to know if anyone has opinions they'd like to share - good or bad. From what I'm starting to realize is their customer support is lacking in a big way. The input on my SK880PS for a dynamic(bass) pedal board looks like a mini-MIDI connector. Does this mean I can't use anything but what GM offers(I've waited long enough)? I really wish I had looked around a little more to see what is actually supported before making the purchase. Personally, I really like the keyboard. I don't know that much about playing, but I'm able to fumble my way through the OS to belt out a few tunes. Any input is greatly appreciated. Regards! Gregg

#118136 - 03/16/00 12:09 PM Re: General Music Opinions Wanted
Gregg Bizier Offline

Loc: Plainville, MA
Okay, I've dug a little deeper into the archives of this BBS, and did manage to find a couple of posts pertaining to GEM.

I know if I ever replace it, I'll be going with the X1 or possibly PSR9000. It would've helped to purchase it from someone that knew what they were talking about. Nonetheless, I still think the SK880 sounds great. The OS could be a littel friendlier.

I saw a thread regarding General MIDI file compatibility with a GEM. I myself, did not purchase the board to be a glorified karaoke machine, but I have messed around with enough MIDIs to notice a few quirks. The 'sound' difference of the same file played between instruments I believe is related to GEMs OS displacing sounds in its banks. If I'm playing around with different samples and 'peformance' settings, MIDIs often have at least a single 'voice' that is out of place. I get around this by setting everything to default(clearing memory). This is done in the 'General' control section. On the SK880, the same thing can be accomplished by turning the tempo dial while powering on.

#118137 - 03/16/00 03:02 PM Re: General Music Opinions Wanted
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Gregg,

I think the most important thing to understand and also to master is the performances.

There are real-performances, style performances and song performances. Those confused me big time and I thought they simply added more overhead.

However, a friend of mine has WK4 (the same idea as SK880) and he played several tunes for me and was able to use the style/real performances in such a way that elevated his music big time.

The way he was using those performances to switch between styles, sounds, configuration convinced me to pay more attention to performances. He is a live-performer and it is working for him very well.

#118138 - 03/16/00 09:06 PM Re: General Music Opinions Wanted
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Gregg,
I have posted many comments about the WK and SK keyboards over the past year on these forums. I sell the Generalmusic, Solton, Yamaha, Korg and Roland keyboards. I like the Generlmusic line a lot. It has the strongest sequencer for recording songs and styles, and their sounds and styles are top notch. The user interface becomes easier the longer you use it. I only wish there was a way to quickly load and play songs direct from disk like the other keyboards can do. Even the WK2, which is a lower priced model can play songs direct from floppy or hard drive. The good news, is that maybe in a software upgrade they will make that option happen.
Gregg,
I have a generalmusic midi pedal unit in stock. Most stores don't carry this. If you would like a very fair price, please contact me at my store. My phone number is 818-881-5566. I am located in Southern California.
I can ship anywhere.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, Ca.
(Retired 2021)

#118139 - 03/18/00 03:11 AM Re: General Music Opinions Wanted
DannyUK Offline

Gregg,

Hi there.

I have 2 GEM keyboards but Ive given one to my father to use (WK8). At home, I still use the older generation of GEM keyboards (WX2) because I think the WX2 (for me) is the best GEM keyboard they've made. But thats a personal view.

Make no mistake, these are excellent keyboards, GEM keyboards has many options that are extremely useful not to mention sound good sounds and good styles (ranging from good to excellent), but most of them are very usable and professional. The sequencers are brilliant and easy to use, the karoake feature (if you should need to use it) is the best found on any keyboards to date (that includes my X1 as well), the manuals are very helpful and i found them to be usefull myself, the operating system on the WX2 & WK8 are excellent, i like the keyboard layout as well on both and its the only keyboards I can play in the dark because the buttons light up and I can see what i am doing!

The only think I would say though in fairness is that since the top of the range WK8 was brought out (mid 1998), there has not been a major update since and perhaps for the price there may be better options to look elsewhere.

But you can't go wrong with GEM, I think they are fantastic keyboards. Somebody offered me £1000 pounds (which is around $1600 dollars) for my 7 year old WX2 and I turned them down flat!! Thats how much I value GEM's products !!

DannyUK

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online