SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#117164 - 06/23/06 05:46 PM Z2300 speakers and mixers?
ralfaro Offline

Loc: Davie, Fl USA
Hello folks, looking for opinions and advice on the following.

1. My Logitech Z2200 speakers unfortunately took a really bad hit during the last hurricane we had here in S. Florida and they have a really annoying static on the left channel. I am going to replace them because I can't stand listening to the static any more. My plan is to replace them with the Z2300s but wanted to check here first and see if there isn't anything better that has cropped up in the last few months. I did check out the thread regarding the Bose 161 and I may do that as a replacement for the Z2300 satellite speakers, but if there is something else you guys think I should look at before purchasing the Logitechs, I'm all ears. I did see a pair of yamaha studio monitors on Craigs List, I think they were the msp5 or something similar for $400 for the pair and they sounded tempting, but no sub woofer.

2. I now have 2 keyboards, the Yamaha 3k and a roland EXR7S so I need some sort of mixer to get them both going through the speakers. For now I have the Roland going through the inputs of the Yamaha, but there is a huge difference in the overall volume on the Yamaha vs the Roland. Can anyone recommend a decent mixer under $100 that will not introduce any noise or change the over all sound? I tried a cheap Radio Shack mixer and it was terrible. I have heard good things about Behringer and Alesis. Any comment or suggestions welcome. I would like at least 1 quiet mic input and at least 3 stereo inputs, 2 for the keyboards, and 1 for something like a playback device like an mp3 player or cd player.

Thanks.

Rick Alfaro

#117165 - 06/23/06 06:11 PM Re: Z2300 speakers and mixers?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Rick,

Fire the output from the Roland into the Yamaha 3000's auxiliary input, then fire the output of the 3000 into the Z-2300 and you'll be ready to go and don't need a mixer at all.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#117166 - 06/23/06 06:32 PM Re: Z2300 speakers and mixers?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Rick, I have the Z2300 and I added 161 Bose to the system, it improved the meds and the quality.
I like the 1:2 system, it adds good base which my KN7000 needed. If you’re buying I would consider the Logitech Z5500, still under $400 and the best buy and sound for the dollar.
You may need a mixer if you are using a mic. Much better control of everything – although it’s more to carry.

If I were to invest again it would be the Z5500. The only set back is 5 speakers and a sub -- and lot’s of wires.

Have fun buying, John C.

#117167 - 06/23/06 06:36 PM Re: Z2300 speakers and mixers?
ralfaro Offline

Hi Gary.

That is the way I have it setup now, but for some reason the volume that I am getting from the Roland with its volume knob turned all the way up is about half of what the Yamaha is. I'm using regular 1/4 inch cables. Maybe I'll have someone check the master volume settings on the Roland and see if that might not be the problem. I think I might prefer a mixer of some sort so I don't have to mess with the keyboards settings.

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Rick,

Fire the output from the Roland into the Yamaha 3000's auxiliary input, then fire the output of the 3000 into the Z-2300 and you'll be ready to go and don't need a mixer at all.

Cheers,

Gary

#117168 - 06/23/06 06:46 PM Re: Z2300 speakers and mixers?
ralfaro Offline

Hi Bruno.

I actually have a z5500 setup on my computer, but like you said, too many speakers and too many wires for my simple home keyboard setup. I don't do any gigging or anything like that, strictly playing at home. I do like the idea of adding the Bose speakers. If you were to use the z5500s how would you deal with improving the mids? It would be a reallyh expensive proposition to replace all of those speakers with Bose 161s.

Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
Rick, I have the Z2300 and I added 161 Bose to the system, it improved the meds and the quality.
I like the 1:2 system, it adds good base which my KN7000 needed. If you’re buying I would consider the Logitech Z5500, still under $400 and the best buy and sound for the dollar.
You may need a mixer if you are using a mic. Much better control of everything – although it’s more to carry.

If I were to invest again it would be the Z5500. The only set back is 5 speakers and a sub -- and lot’s of wires.

Have fun buying, John C.

#117169 - 06/24/06 12:53 AM Re: Z2300 speakers and mixers?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Quote:
Originally posted by ralfaro:
Hi Bruno.

I actually have a z5500 setup on my computer, but like you said, too many speakers and too many wires for my simple home keyboard setup. I don't do any gigging or anything like that, strictly playing at home. I do like the idea of adding the Bose speakers. If you were to use the z5500s how would you deal with improving the mids? It would be a reallyh expensive proposition to replace all of those speakers with Bose 161s.

Rick, I have no idea what it would sound like but I do not feel it's a great idea. I do feel if you are set up in your home a mixer would be a great addition. You could add trebble, base and mids, reverb if needed and control the volume of each instrument.

With two different keyboards it's a good idea to have control of each individually. Each one may have a different output and sound a that could altered with the mixer.

IMHO John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 06-24-2006).]

#117170 - 06/24/06 05:17 AM Re: Z2300 speakers and mixers?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Unfortunately, Yamaha's auxiliary inputs require a high line level input, which may not be available from your other keyboard. If you are going to use a small mixer, the best I can recommend is the Alesis Multi-Mix 6FX, which sells for just under $100 and does an incredible job. Lots of forum members using this one and all rave about the results.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online