SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#116830 - 04/19/05 08:43 AM Z5500 Died last evening
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Half way thru a performance last night the Logitech went belly up. started roaring with the amplified static sound, no keyboard coming through at all. Finished up with just the onboards. (Boy did the place seem quiet) fiddled with it some, but could not get anything out except, static. I believe the amps are working, sounds like the input jacks broke off or something and just bare wires amplifing static?

Called logitech this am they want me to test it on something other than a keyboard.
(which took a bit of explaining, apparently the tech had not ever thought about hooking this device to a piano) He finally seemed to come around, and gave me a case number, and requested I hook it to something else, and if it didn't work call back, for return instructions. Very pleasant tech, and looks like at this time, will honor the warrantee. The control center is kaputt in my opinion, and setting this on the woofer is a no no, I had it there for a while, until I noticed it was getting quite a bit of vibration, I think this killed it, I'm guessing the conection from the board inside to the jacks are shorted or broken?

I don't want to carry this thing to the computer to test it out, so hope to convince the tech, with a portable stereo tape player plugged in, that it still don't work. Its obviously defective when it amplifies static with or without the keyboard plugged in. But he explained that they are required to have at least two different devices tried, to show it dos'nt work.

Wish me luck......Pose

------------------
Support the arts
FEED a Musician
Cheers....Pose

#116831 - 04/19/05 09:36 AM Re: Z5500 Died last evening
John_CA Offline

Loc: Kern county, CA, USA
Hi Pose,

If the static noise still goes up or down if you turn the volume,the amp should be ok, and it's probably a wire that came loose.

I presume it's still under warranty, otherwise if you're somewhat handy with a soldering iron, it shouldn't be difficult to repair it yourself instead of having the trouble sending it in or missing it a couple of weeks.

John

#116832 - 04/19/05 10:20 AM Re: Z5500 Died last evening
loungelyzard Offline

Good News:

Just got off the phone with Logitech. A new one is going to be shipped, no hassle, no problems, Great customer handling, very nice people. No old one to return, no shipping cost etc etc. Bad news is they are on back order, may be four weeks before taking delivery. Have to go back to the Beheringer k1200's for a while. Best and easiest service I've encountered. No waiting, on the phone, they asked a few questions, and appoligised for the inconvience, and suggested I give the old sub to my wife for a plant stand.

I would love to take the additional 5 speakers, and double up each speaker stand ie 2 up and 2 down on gary's setup and add a third stand using a drummers throne for the base and putting the 2 center speakers on this. Anyone with speaker knowledge, care to comment on the possibilities of this. Ohms, load, etc. Don't know if this would overload the system or not. just seems more might be better??????

JOHN:
yeah.. the static noise can be upped or lowered with the vol control, I'm thinking it may be just a wire or something, but could'nt tear into it without voiding the warrantee. Since they don't want the old one back, I'm free to take a look see. If its just a minor soldering job, I don't want to break up this system, so could just use it on my computer, Wow what a sound system for a computer! If I use the speakers added to the new system, I'll have spare parts for anyone who's out of warrantee time.

Any more Ideas anyone........Pose

#116833 - 04/19/05 10:35 AM Re: Z5500 Died last evening
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Pose,

I could be done, however, it would take some serious re-wiring to do it. Essentually, there were be some series/parralell hookups to balance out the impedience and the load to the overall amp. I wouldn't recommend it though, mainly because I don't know if the amp's output circuit could handle the additional load.

BTW: I have a big job to do next month, audience of about 150 folks, mostly older, and I'm going to use the Z-5500s. However, I will have one of the Barbetta's in the van--just in case the 5500 dies. As I've preached in the past--always have a back-up. You never know when Murphy's Law will strike.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#116834 - 04/19/05 10:35 AM Re: Z5500 Died last evening
John_CA Offline

Loc: Kern county, CA, USA
Pose,

Nice people at Logitech indeed.

About adding speakers of the "old" one to the new one, it's not really that simple.
If memory serves well, if you connect, say 2 times an 8 Ohms speaker together in parallel, that would make it zero, and in series 16 Ohms.
The first will burn your amp and the series option will half the available volume.

Every system is balanced against each other in means of speaker impedance, load and the amp being used. Changing any of these will almost every time make the sound as a whole worse.

Since you're free to explore, just open it up and with some luck, it;s only a broken wire or bad connection due to some vibrations.

Good luck,
John

------------------
Have a nice day smile

#116835 - 04/19/05 11:44 AM Re: Z5500 Died last evening
loungelyzard Offline

Hey thanks guys for the response, I think on your advise I'll give up on trying more speakers, I started drawing up a schematic of the wiring envolved, when I got to the part of three amps, and realized that a faulty setup with a couple of wires plugged in wrong, Would probably go pooofff, I stopped drawing.......Thanks...Pose

#116836 - 04/19/05 03:52 PM Re: Z5500 Died last evening
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Pose

Wow, what customer service! It reminds me of the old days. And you don't even have to send your old one back? Is that what I just read. Talk about a great company.

Best
Scott Langholff

#116837 - 04/19/05 04:15 PM Re: Z5500 Died last evening
loungelyzard Offline

Scott:
Yeah Terrific small town 1940's style of handling. Great service and warranty.

Truly expecting they will ship as soon as the back order comes in......Pose

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online