SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#116536 - 03/28/05 08:01 AM Ketron XD9 or Yamaha PSR?
Force Offline

Loc: chesapeake, VA, USA
I'm looking for a keyboard to use for one-man-band type of setup. I plan to play at dances, parties, and clubs that want a more "full band" sound than my current solo thing.
I think I've narrowed things down to eithe the Ketron XD9 or the Yamaha PSR 3000 since both seem to be very nice and are in my general price range. Does anyone here have any advice on the Ketron? I played it the other day and really liked it. The action is better than the PSR and i think the voices are MUCH better. It's a new name to me though and I'm looking for a little advice.

Thanks!!

F

#116537 - 03/28/05 08:27 AM Re: Ketron XD9 or Yamaha PSR?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Hello Force,
It's a matter of what's most important, the sound you get from the Ketron or the easier operating system of the PSR3000. Both are great keyboards.
I recently switched to Ketron SD1 after using Tyros, PSR 2100, etc for several years. Others have gone the other way, from Ketron to Yamaha.
Personally I feel the live sound of the Ketron, particularly the drums and bass are worth the steeper learning curve.
There is more aftermarket support with Yamaha, with thousands of free styles available. However, styles are available also for Ketron, and my experience has been that I don't need as many extra styles for it as I found myself using with Yamaha.
The PSR3000 has the vocal harmonizer built in and also has the capacity for smart media storage, which is inexpensive. With the XD9, the hard drive and vocal harmony are optional extras. Same with the video output. If these features are important to you, the Ketron will end up costing more than the 3000.
Really, you can't go wrong with either choice.
DonM www.donmasonmusic.com

#116538 - 03/28/05 11:31 AM Re: Ketron XD9 or Yamaha PSR?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Force, I had the opportunity to audition the XD9 at length a couple of years ago, and in my opinion, it's sound quality & features paled next to the SD1. If I were to go with a Ketron KB, I would pass on the XD9 and save the extra $ required to purchase the SD1 instead. It's well worth the extra $ spent imo. One problem I noticed with the XD9 I test drove was that the OS would frequently freeze and lockup the KB without warning. I suspect a new OS update has corrected that by now. If your budget is limited to the price of a PSR3000/XD9, I would recommend without a doubt the PSR3000. It (imho) remains the BEST BANG for the buck in arranger keyboards today. Granted, the Yamaha arranger keyboard's feel (smaller keys-lighter action) & build durability may not be rugged as a tank, but then again no arranger keyboard comes close to the fit, feel, and finish of a fully weighted true piano action keyboard either, not even the Ketron SD1. In other words, your hands and fingers (and playing style) will learn to adapt to whatever keyboard you choose. The bottom line is everyone's ears & play (feel) expectations are different. If the XD9 sounds and feels great to you, then by all means, purchase the XD9 and keep us posted on how you like it, as there are not too many Ketron XD9 owners here, or at least providing feedback on that model.

Scott

#116539 - 03/28/05 01:54 PM Re: Ketron XD9 or Yamaha PSR?
Dnj Offline

PSR hands Down!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online