SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#116306 - 09/07/05 10:56 AM What would be a good trumpet for...
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
My nephew (10 years old) was accepted into his school band as a trumpet player. Now he wants a trumpet.

I know nothing about trumpets, so can someone recommend something for this situation?

Brands, prices, sizes, stores to buy from? anything?

King
Yamaha
anything else?

Thanks.

#116307 - 09/07/05 10:59 AM Re: What would be a good trumpet for...
Dnj Offline

#116308 - 09/07/05 02:03 PM Re: What would be a good trumpet for...
Mosiqaar Offline

Thanks Dnj, I had no idea trumpets are that expensive! I thought arrangers were bad! Now I have a different perspective!

#116309 - 09/07/05 02:48 PM Re: What would be a good trumpet for...
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
That trumpet on the zachary link is not what a beginner would play.

I would suggest finding a local dealer that will rent you one. I would suggest you do not buy one from Walmart or Sam's club if you want your nephew to have a chance at being a success with it. The school teacher may be able to suggest a dealer to go to that you can trust.

#116310 - 09/07/05 06:04 PM Re: What would be a good trumpet for...
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I can help you. I rent and sell band instruments. Call 866 348 8876 or email me at keyboardcity@yahoo.com ..

Dan O'

------------------
Ketron, Yamaha, Casio,Roland arranger keyboards.
http://www.keyboardcity.net

1-866-348-8876

#116311 - 09/08/05 06:21 PM Re: What would be a good trumpet for...
Mosiqaar Offline

Scott thanks. The thing is my Nephew is in Lafayette LA and they only have one music store there, and I was trying to give my brother more chances at saving money while still buying a decent "Begginer" trumpet.

DANO is still in the market , I will give you a call soon man. Thanks.

#116312 - 09/08/05 06:35 PM Re: What would be a good trumpet for...
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Trumpet is the instrument I know the most about because it's what I played for years.
I rent and sell Yamaha student model trumpets. I would recommend Yamaha over all other brands. They use parts from Japan and are made here in the USA. Their horns play great and most importantly, their valves are made to last. The problem with the cheap Chinese made horns is that the valves are usually made of either nickle plate or they use very light stainless steel coverings. After a few months, the valves are shot. Also, the lacquer they use is so thin that it peels off very quickly.
Student horns play easier than pro horns for the beginner. They require less air because the bore size is usually smaller so they don't require as much air. Also, a pro horn will usually have things like one piece bell construction where the student model will have a two piece type (although you can't usually see the seam). A good student trumpet will have a list price of about $900.00 and of course big discounts are to be found in the 40% range. A cheap horn from China will run about $200.00 but STAY AWAY!

George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online