SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#115971 - 11/10/02 11:43 AM XV-2020 vs. XD9
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
Hi All!

I have been looking for a way to make my keyboard sound better, I've looked at some soundfonts, like Synergi 200,I've listened to some demo's of it but I wasn't impressed at all. It's an ok Soundfont but it isn't that much better than the free ones.
Another thing I looked at were some Sound Modules, And the XV-2020 from Roland has grabbed my attention.
I've only heard this Module on the internet, But it sounded pretty good, and those SRX expansion boards are nice too.
On the other hand I could buy a new keyboard, I've tried the XD9 and it sounded great.
But the XD9 is pretty expensive (about twice as much as a XV-2020) and I cannot afford it right now, It would take me at least a year to save up the money I need to buy a XD9, and I really don't like the sound my keyboard is producing.
So can anyone compare the sounds of the Ketron XD9 with the Roland XV-2020, and which one sounds better (especially the pianos, strings, saxes and guitars).
What are the Cons and Pros of a XV-2020/XD9?.
Any other options/suggestions?
Of course I would miss al the features
a keyboard has if I would buy a module but I'm satisfied with my keyboard, except for the sounds.

Thanks in advance

Greetz,
Marcel

#115972 - 11/10/02 12:50 PM Re: XV-2020 vs. XD9
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Marcel,
The XV2020 is a great module for the money but keep in mind that it does not have a display that shows anything other than the number of the voice you are using. There are no voice names or anything else in the display. Most of my customers who are using it for live work prever the XV5050 which has the exact same sounds, but has a full screen with all information listed with full names and other information posted in the screen. The difference in price is about $250.00 but keep it in mind. You have to memorize the number to call up the right sound or have a list written down to know what sound you need. The Roland modules offer a much larger set of voices stock than the XD9 keyboard and these sounds are outstanding. The ability to put an additional 128 MB of Roland sounds in later is another plus. If you need great orchestral instruments, Roland has released a new expansion card that features all the sounds from their Orchestra 1 and Orchestra 2 voice exapanision cards plus the vocal card voices and the best of sounds card all in one board. This gives you tremendous possibilities. Although the sounds are great in the XD9, there is not nearly as many variations of sounds as you will find on the roland module.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#115973 - 11/11/02 05:03 AM Re: XV-2020 vs. XD9
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
Thanks for your help George , Maybe the XV-5050 isn't such a bad idea either but it's a little pricy for me.
But I'm mostly interested in the GM voices, are these as good as the Ketron's?,
And which voices are worse/better on the XV's/Ketrons???

Greetz,
Marcel

#115974 - 11/11/02 07:49 AM Re: XV-2020 vs. XD9
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Marcel

If you don't need everything in one instrument, I think the Roland sound module route is the one to take. You will get better sound quality and more expandability. Also, the sound module will still be useful when you replace your arranger.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online