SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#115576 - 08/31/01 07:36 AM GEM WK8SE versus KORG PA-80
fkara Offline

Loc: houston, texas, usa
Is there any way to compare the PA-80 and
WK8SE, especially in the "sounds" department, and the "styles" department.

- Which one has the most authentic styles (on ethnic world styles),
- more realistic styles (but definitely exciting and be NEW).
- Lastly, would it be true to say that the styles in WK8SE same as the SK760/880. Or are they completely renewed and reprogrammed (like PA-80 after I30).
If that's the case I have a chance to audition an SK760 here in town, and that would give me a chance to make a comparison.

- Also, I am repeating my previous question:
"Are the oriental styles and sounds available with the unit or through an extra oriental kit?"

Regards,

F Kara

#115577 - 08/31/01 05:09 PM Re: GEM WK8SE versus KORG PA-80
fkara Offline

Come on Guys!
Does nobody know about the WK8SE to give a little comperative info?
I feel like being ignored...

Regards,

F kara

#115578 - 08/31/01 06:11 PM Re: GEM WK8SE versus KORG PA-80
Jupiter5 Offline

Hello Fkara,

I'm sorry that I know little of the Gem keyboard,(I haven't played it) except that it has had super reviews in the UK - and in the acclaimed magazine "Keyboard Player". It has - IMO - been in the shadows of other arrangers, and needs more exposure to be honest. Versus a PA 80?? - There would be only one Choice for me - if I was offered either! Answer below .

For those who don't know what a GEMWK8SE is - then here are the Specs.......

--------------------------------

The new WK8 SE is the most complete and powerful Arranger Keyboard made by GEM. In fact, this unique instrument has been further improved, offering an astonishing array of updated features that make it the ideal choice for professional musicians, either for live work or for ‘one man band’ applications.

Generation.The rational controls layout and the large graphic display (320 x 240 pixels) inserted in an ergonomic panel with simulated briar finish offer a direct approach to the enormous power contained in the WK8 SE.The WK8 SE is a 32 part multitimbral instrument with 32 layers, 32 splits, 32 dynamic switches and a 64-note polyphony.The WK8 SE contains 24 MB ROM of PCM samples, including 1,016 presets plus 16 new piano sounds with ‘Damper Physical Model’ from the Realpiano PRO2

library. Navigation within this vast sound library is made easy by an operating system that can ‘remember’ your most frequently used sounds and styles (Last Selection Memory).The next time you need these sounds, thay are only one button press away - with no programming required.In addition, the WK8 SE is fitted with a 8 MB battery backed D-RAM that lets you load and edit stereo samples, improving the dynamics of the sounds.The sample RAM can be further expanded, installing up to 32 MB of SIMM modules.

The WK8 SE can load PCM samples in a wide range of formats including Wave (PC), AIFF (Mac), Sound Designer1 Akai®, Kurzweil®, Sample Vision and Standard Midi Sample Data Dump.The powerful Edit Sound lets you manipulate the sounds with advanced editing functions, using 2nd and 4th order filters (12/24 dB/oct) with resonance control.You can use up to 6 oscillators per voice on three layers, in combination with the Wave Vector, that lets you play back the internal or imported samples in forward, reverse and alternate mode.You can even use 6 segment envelopes to program time variant volume, pan and filter cutoff curves.The LFO also features a ‘sync to MIDI’ function.

All editing functions are displayed on the large graphic display.The WK8 SE offers 64 new Realtime Performances, specially programmed to use the huge internal sound and effects libraries to their fullest.The Drawbar Performances let you play, while controlling in real time, the classic tonewheel organ sound using the 8 sliders on the front panel.The ROM of the WK8 SE contains a number of waveforms sampled directly from a vintage Hammond® B3 which, combined with our authentic leslie® speaker simulation, offer a faithful reproduction of the sound of this timeless instrument.

Effects Processors.The WK8 SE features 4 programmable digital effects processors divided into 2 groups. Two effects can be assigned to each track, with a choice of 24 reverbs and 32 modulation effects for each group.Reverb algorhythms include Hall, Concert, Chamber, Room, Vocal, Plate, Church, Mountains, Falling and Early.Modulation effects include Delay, Dubbing, Ping-Pong, Chorus, Ensemble, Phaser, Flanger, Pan mix, Distortion, Pitch shifter, Rotary and Equalizer. Styles.The arranger section of the WK8 SE contains 192 ROM styles with 4 variation each and 32 RAM styles, user-programmable or updatable from floppy disks.Each style is made up of 8 tracks (Drums, Bass, Acc. 1/2/3/4/5/6).The important ‘Style Performance’ function has been further developed: each style features now 8 Style Performances, that let you instantly reconfigure its

Orchestration.Moreover, the WK8 SE offers 16 new ‘RASS’ styles, loaded in the flash memory of the instrument.GEM’s new ‘RASS’ (Real Audio Synchro Style) disk library developed for the new WK Series instruments, allows you to use specially processed real audio samples which are synchronized with the MIDI styles, creating the most authentic rhythm tracks ever.As you change tempo, the RASS sample actually follows your changes exactly as though it was another MIDI track – changing tempo appropriately.

Sequencer.The WK8 SE contains a professional sequencer with 32 tracks, a capacity of 250,000 (My KN6500 only has 40,000 notes, but plenty for me) events/16 songs, 1/192 resolution, microscopic editing, groove quantize and background loading.The WK8 SE’s new operating system adds a series of interesting

functions:Autostore (automatic saving of modifications performed in ‘Rec mode’); ‘Direct from disk’ function that speeds up the playback of Midifiles stored on floppy disks and on the hard disk; balance between melody volume and accompaniment volume.

The WK8 SE is compatible with a range of formats: DOC®, Disklavier™, Piano Disk™, TUNE1000® and ‘.KAR’.The WK8 SE is also compatible with Standard Midi Files (0, 1 and 1+lyrics), and with thousands of GEM’s SK/WK, SX/WX and GMX series songs. Hard Disk / Disk Drive. The WK8 SE can use an internal hard disk of up to 2 GB in capacity (2.5” - IDE interface), ideal for quickly and securely saving and recalling vast amounts of data.The WK8 SE comes complete with a pre-loaded hard disk containing an enormous variety of software: over 200 songs in TUNE1000® format with lyrics that can be displayed, over 300 styles and 60 MB of PCM samples.The WK8 SE’s 3.5” disk drive can format disks in expanded format (1.6 MB) and also MS-DOS (1.44 MB and 720 KB). Built-in SCSI interface.Thanks to the built-in SCSI interface - compatible with Zip 250® and Jaz (1 and 2 GB) - you can quickly and securely save and recall vast amounts of data.In addition, the ‘Multicopy’ function lets you back up data from the internal hard disk to SCSI devices and viceversa.

Master Keyboard.The WK8 SE is a powerful master controller keyboard complete with aftertouch. A comprehensive series of connectors (2 MIDI In, 2 Out, 2 Thru and 3 programmable pedals) allows powerful real time control over any type of external unit with access to 32 independent MIDI channels. Audio/Video Interface with Vocal

Processor.Using the built-in Video Out, you can connect most types of TV or video display to the WK8 SE to view song score, chords and karaoke style lyrics.In addition, the internal Vocal Processor (whose audio quality has been furtherimproved) allows up to 4 harmony lines to be added to any sound source connected to the instrument’s Audio Input, creating extraordinary vocal harmony and overdubbing effects in real time - a ‘must have’ feature for the modern ‘one-man-band’.The Vocal Procesor has 3 operating modes - Chord (harmonizes input to fit the chords played in Style mode), Vocoder (harmonizes with the notes played in real time on the keyboard) and Unison (adds up to 4 notes to the voice with user specified tunings).The Vocal Processor function can be controlled directly from the WK8 SE sequencer, allowing one of the sequence tracks to control the harmony notes. Amplification.The versatile internal 2-way 4-speaker 25W + 25W stereo amplification system is further enhanced by our new ‘Bass Boost’ feature which delivers the fat, pumping bass essential to modern music styles while bringing out the warmth and power of the more traditional soundsBut the WK8 SE also adds a completely new dimension to your music: our amazing new 3D Stereo Enhancer “opens out” the sound of the instrument with sparkling clarity, giving a refreshing new depth and character to each and every sound.

--------------------------------------

Technical Specifications

WK8 SE.Keyboard 61 keys with dynamics and aftertouch
Polyphony 64 notes max.
Sounds 1019 sounds + 16 piano sounds (PRO2 library).
Operating mode Full keyboard, Upper/Lower, Multi
Controls Track ball (pitch, modulation), 3 programmable pedals, 10 volume sliders (8 multifunction sliders), 8 function keys (F1...F8), Dial. Transpose, tuning, touch sensitivity.
Pads 4 programmable pads
Single Touch Play 8 per style
Performances 64 real-time editable
Edit Track edit - 32 tracks (On/Off, volume, effects send, transpose, octave, detune, pan, volume pedal, damper).
Display 320x240 graphic LCD (backlit)
Styles 192 ROM styles + 32 programmable x 4 variations, 8 tracks (drums, bass, acc 1/2/3/4/5/6). 32 style locations on Flash Memory (for future updatings via Operating System). 16 ‘RASS styles
Style Controls Start/Stop, Intro, Ending, Key Start, Var 1-2-3-4; Fade In/Out; Fill <; Fill ><; Fill > (Tap Tempo); Arrange On/Off; Arrange Memory; Lower Memory; Arrange Mode/Split; Tempo Lock, Style Lock; Harmony On/Off; Harmony Type; Bass to Lowest.
Digital Effects 4 processors divided into 2 groups (24 reverbs + 32 modulations for each group); 3D Stereo Enhancer
Sequencer 16 user songs (32 tracks), song style mode. 32 programmable styles.
Disk Drive Load, Save, Erase, Copy, Move, Format (720 KB - 1.44 MB - 1.62 MB), ‘Load while Playing’, ‘Play All Songs’. Direct to Disk (Midifiles). Compatibility: DOC®, Disklavier™, Piano Disk™, TUNE1000®, ‘.Kar’; Standard MIDI Files type 0, 1 and 1 + lyrics; WK4, GMX, WX/SX and RASS formats.
Compatibility DOC®, Disklavier™, Piano Disk™, TUNE1000®, ‘.Kar’; Standard MIDI Files type 0, 1 and 1 + lyrics; WK4, GMX, WX/SX and RASS formats.
Hard Disk WK8 MEGASTATION can manage up to 2 GB internal hard disks (2.5” - IDE interface). The built-in hard disk contains over 200 songs, 300 styles and 60 MB of new PCM samples.
MIDI 32 channels, common channel, 32 tracks local On/Off, external clock, General Midi On/Off, channel lock, dump.
Connections L/R output, Aux 1/2, stereo inputs with volume control, Audio/Video interface, computer host (PC1, PC2, Mac), 2 headphones, volume pedal, 3 programmable pedals, dynamic pedalboard, 2 MIDI In, 2 Out, 2 Thru. SCSI interface (compatible with ZIP 250® e JAZ (1 and 2 GB).
Amplification 25W + 25W; 2 ways; 4 speakers; Bass Boost.
Dimensions (LxHxD) 1100 mm x 150 mm x 390 mm.
Weight 15,5 Kg

And a Picture........

Phew! - My fingers Ache after all that typing - never again - I promise

Answer: A GEM - and that is what it is...a superb piece of Kit. The PA80 - is, IMO - a scaled-down version of the Korg Triton sound wise - (It's OK - but won't break any new ground so to speak) - and a "So-So Mixture of everything else. The PA80 is not a Top class Arranger IMO - but that is just what I think. The PA80 is a "Passing keyboard" - to keep "KORG" people happy for a while - till Korg gets a "Top arranger" on the Market.(one that can REALLY "compete" with the best) That's my opinion only, so you PA80 owners........enjoy!!! I have a KN6500 By the way - so I'm more than satisfied with my purchase. VERY MUCH SO :

Tony, England

#115579 - 08/31/01 06:49 PM Re: GEM WK8SE versus KORG PA-80
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
Actually it's 34.17 pounds according to http://anduin.eldar.org/~ben/convert/kgram_lb.html I have the wk8 megastation which weighs the same. The "se" has the pro 2 grand piano sample and some other goodies. And it is a superb piece of kit for sure !!

[This message has been edited by Vic01 (edited 08-31-2001).]

#115580 - 08/31/01 07:06 PM Re: GEM WK8SE versus KORG PA-80
Dnj Offline

sorry vic,

I probably looked at the wrong conversion.

Do you have any demo songs or any way we can hear the WK8 keyboard? Seems like another kool keyboard that no one can find in stores or tryout just like the Solton sd1. Is this because of their European base, making the USA down on the dealer list?

donny

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-31-2001).]

#115581 - 09/01/01 09:22 AM Re: GEM WK8SE versus KORG PA-80
fkara Offline

Here is what I could find about the WK8SE so far.
The comments are taken from GEMWK4 user forum.

"About WK8SE. It has the same sounds as WK8, plus the Pro sounds. New is the
damper technology, haven't heard it yet. Stereo sample support. *.KAR file
support. 3D + bass boost on speakers.

So long for now!

Greetings,

Joost "

Doesn't sound so great does it (As far as the sounds and the styles go)?

Regards,

F Kara

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online