Loc: Norway
The taste is very different from person to
person, but myself I try to think the way a
orchestra/group is placed on the stage.
Then try to pan it from there, and often use
drums "in the middle", or center.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#115323 - 02/13/02 09:27 AM Re: Panning parts while recording >>>>>
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... as Gunnar said, it's a matter of taste, but using the kn6 I enjoy hearing the sounds from different 'sides' of the speakers ... also, if you are playing through a stereo mixer, your audience can appreciate the stereo sounds as well .... I've heard some midis where the sound for a particular voice (ie strings)or passage was panned from one side to the other for a nice 'moving sound' effect .... it's also effective for 'call and answer' phrases or riffs, where you might have reeds on the left and brass on the right.....of course, if you're playing through a mono mixer, it doesn't matter.....
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 02-13-2002).]

#115324 - 02/13/02 09:45 AM Re: Panning parts while recording >>>>>
Anonymous
Unregistered

Panning and stereo in general is not something I have found beneficial for guys like me who play one nighters in differently configured rooms.

For instance: once a month I play a club that is L-shaped. The speakers are spread about 25 feet apart. Any parts panned to the right fail to make the trip to the part of the room that would be represented by the shorter leg of the L. Another room I play frequently is very wide, but not deep. The speakers are positioned about 45 degrees outwardly from the keyboard in order to cover the width of the room. Again, panning puts too much or too little weight on the voices panned to one side or the other.

I keep everything dead center which assures an even mix even in odd shaped rooms.

Eddie

#115325 - 02/13/02 03:12 PM Re: Panning parts while recording >>>>>
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
Ahhhh, panning while recording. If by that you mean record to put on a CD then here are my thoughts on that. Gunnar said it pretty well. I genarally record in stereo, But even if your recording in mono it probably will not matter. It also depends on what you're using to record with...If you're using a computer, then you have it made.
I usually treat my tracks like a pyramid scheem. First I split all of the tracks that need to be equally panned. If in mono, just have 2 tracks of these types of tracks.
I take my bass parts (bottom of the pyramid) and pan them hard left and hard right. This puts the bass in the "bottom" of the stereo feild. I continue in this manner, but I don't pan the more important parts as much. This places them in the stereo feild in order of importance. If I have more than 1 instrument doing a melody line, then I'll pan one a bit left and the other a bit right. Vocals and the solos should run right down the middle. It's nice if you can treat the drums in the same manner. My drumming program has auto pan, so no problems there. Bass drum(s) panned to the bottom of the stereo feild, snare up a bit to the middle. The toms and symbols and such go from side to side. If I play one cymble, it crashes on the right, another would crash on the left. Toms move through the field acording to the tone, lowest right to the highest on the left.
Any way thats the way I like to do it.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online