SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#115280 - 05/03/05 10:51 PM Z5500 Is Everyone Still Happy???
Yamiguy Offline

Hi All,
I've been seriously thinking about switching to this speaker system for my live guitar, vocals, and psr backing tracks. Then when i read Loungelizards problem with his going out on him in the middle of an event I am getting cold feet. The advantages are many...but unreliability is a deal breaker. I know some of you have been using them for awhile now and just wondering if there were any gripes.
Thank You Larry :-)

#115281 - 05/04/05 02:30 AM Re: Z5500 Is Everyone Still Happy???
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Larry
I use mine everyday and take it out with me for jobs once or twice a week. It is still the best system for me. I love it.

Bernie

#115282 - 05/04/05 03:32 AM Re: Z5500 Is Everyone Still Happy???
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie9:
[B]Hi Larry
I use mine everyday and take it out with me for jobs once or twice a week. It is still the best system for me. I love it.

I share the same feelings as Yamiguy, the unit was made for home use. Bernie, talk me into buying it.

John C.

#115283 - 05/04/05 04:43 AM Re: Z5500 Is Everyone Still Happy???
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
I can not comment on it's reliability for road work as I have only been using it at home. But if you're careful I do not know why it shouldn't hold up. Hey, if I remember right didn't Loungelizard mention that he had been placing the control unit on his sub? I would not doubt that over a bit of time all that vibrations is going to cause some kind of problems to the control unit.
That sub woofer kicks out a LOT of bottem end! I would not expect any mixer. amp, effect unit or any other piece of electronic equipment to hold up very long if it is sitting on top of a blasting sub-woofer.
If indeed that was the case of Loungelizard.
I know heard somebody mention that's what they were doing.
I like my 5500's a lot. And once again want to thank Gary and others for their input.

------------------
The old Newb

#115284 - 05/04/05 05:50 AM Re: Z5500 Is Everyone Still Happy???
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I use my Z-5500s 2 to 4 days a week, they're awesome, and so far, not a single problem. In fact, just this past week I had a large party to play and it was the first time the Barbetta Sona 32C's have been out of the music closet since long before last Christmas.

Keep in mind that the Z-5500 was designed for individuals that wanted the ultimate blast from their video games and surround sound for movies on their home theater systems. It was not intended for transportating, therefore a certain degree of caution must be used with the lighter wires and small speakers. Pose placed a very delicate remote control reciever on top of his sub, which obviously had adverse affects. That being said, when he called for service, Logitech didn't hesitate to replace the unit at no charge. He didn't have to return anything, and he got to talk with real people--something that is quite rare these days.

I sincerely believe that a lightweight, three-piece system is the best way to go short of the Bose PAS, which is much too expensive at this point. The audience response for the Z-5500 has been extremely positive, everyone comments how clear, crisp and rich the keyboard and vocals sound, and they way I have my system set up the sound seems to be very evenly disbursed throuout the rooms I've played. The largest audience I performed for using the 5500 is about 125 to 130 people, which I believe is near the top of the range from the system. The sub is awesome, far more powerful than I need, and for someone playing disco, hiphop and some of the other new dance styles, 50 percent volume levels would blow the windows out of most clubs.

Someone posted something along the lines of "Talk me into buying the 5500!" I would not want anyone to buy anything based upin just my evaluation. The best advice I have is to buy the system from a vender who has a liberal return policy, take it home, hook everything up per the instruction manual, and at that point let your ears be the judge. If you'll recall, a few months back someone sarcastically said these are nothing but toys intended for video games--not for serious musicians/entertainers. He said that without hearing, seeing or touching the system. This year I will probably do about 200 jobs with the 5500s. If they survive one year of this kind of work, then the $300 I paid for them was a good investment. If not, the loss was not anymore than the cost of a good mic.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#115285 - 05/04/05 07:21 AM Re: Z5500 Is Everyone Still Happy???
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Just to reinforce what Gary, OldNewB and Bernie has said....thanks to Gary for my decision to buy mine and I use it all the time in my restaurant which seats 128 comfortable and 150 tight and no problems
here what so ever....I just bought another set to use for outside gigs to keep from setting up and braking down the one system all the time...
Tony Rome

#115286 - 05/04/05 07:26 AM Re: Z5500 Is Everyone Still Happy???
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Hi:
I took the controller apart, and was unable to get it working, I'm pretty sure that setting on the sub did it in, I really knew better, from years using piggyback amps setting on a stack of 12's and 15's playing guitar, I always had the amps bolted down, and the whole rig tends to walk the stage if you do'nt watch it. In this case I was crowded for room and it was easy to reach, setting right next to me. Just wasn't thinking, and did'nt move it until it started to make a racket, but it was too late.
Excellent service from logitech, however they were on back order, and hav'nt recieved the replacement yet. probably another 2 weeks on their estimate.
When I first got the system, I was impressed but, not overly, except the smallness of this system, after using it and tweaking the sound several times, I did'nt realise how much better the sound was, until I went back to the K1200's, Now I'm constantly tweaking this system trying to get close to the Logitech.
I'll post a update when logitech gets the replacement to me.

DON'T set the controller on the Sub, I'm going to use a old drummers throne stand to mount the control unit on. Will post a pic when it's complete and the new one mounted.

Would I buy another one, (you betcha) For 300 dollars and a two year guarantee, I think its a bargain. and I expect the next one will probably last several years.

Logitech treated me great and only requested one thing, They have a policy of making sure its really broke and ask you to try running another source thru (stereo tape player etc) to make sure its defective, then they give you the old one and send you a new one, no charge, period. (ain't that great!)

Cheers....Pose

#115287 - 05/04/05 07:28 AM Re: Z5500 Is Everyone Still Happy???
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Have you heard about the new Yamaha StagePas sound system. It is a 300 watt stereo 8 channel portable sound system. It has the speaker cabinets with 8 inch woofers and a high freq. compression driver horn and the mixer with power amp and reverb with 4 mic preamps is about 8" by 6" in size and fits right into the back of one of the speakers. The mixer attaches to a standard mic stand for stage use or can stay inside the back of the speaker because all the jacks are on the front panel. You can attach powered speakers or go into a larger pa by use of 2 1/4" output jacks besides the two main speaker out jacks. The sound is amazing. Yamaha has designed these so that the bottom end sounds like much larger speakers with no distortion. The selling price of the system is $549.00 and Yamaha has a roll around bag available to carry the whole system in with one hand. It's lightweight, portable, powerful and Yamaha!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#115288 - 05/04/05 07:43 AM Re: Z5500 Is Everyone Still Happy???
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA

#115289 - 05/04/05 08:12 AM Re: Z5500 Is Everyone Still Happy???
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I took the Yamaha PAS system out for trial. It does sound truly amazing. I did return it for two reasons. At the small supper club where I tried it, I had it wide open, as loud as it would go, and it was loud enough. It would not have carried anything larger. The Logitech 2200 is louder.
The other drawback was that the "reverb" was almost totally unusable. It seemed to be a delay, rather than reverb, and just seemed to muddy the sound instead of enhancing it.
I ran my mic through the SD1 and used the effects from there, but I did hook up a mic and try the reverb. Maybe I overlooked something, but I don't think so.
One other small drawback was that it isn't all that easy to reattach the back panels than hold the mixer and cords, particularly in low light. You have to get the little screws in just the right position and then tighten them with a coin. If they don't tighten properly the mixer could fall out during transportation.
It is a great concept, but I personally think they fell a little short.
George, maybe you can test the system in these areas and see if I missed something.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 05-04-2005).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online