SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#115064 - 04/08/08 03:03 PM Re: Wersi Abacus Review
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Domenik,

I have to agree the Neko and Miko are great concepts but as far as user interface and OS goes, they aren't intuitive at all. Sound quality and features abound but at a price, lots of headaches from having to integrate necessary VST's, software, and sound engines to get what you want out of them. Still the sound quality of them has no competition from any other workstation/arranger besides Lionstracs or Wersi. The Korg Oasys does also compete but it's not truly open ended which is unfortunate.

The Mediastation keeps coming further ahead in the market but you still need to take a listen to the Wersi and follow their queue. If you can ship the Mediastation with a set of factory sounds on par with the Wersi, you'll sell a lot of Mediastations. The new Giga sample files you have available are great but there needs to be more factory sounds that are bread and butter type sounds.

Unfortunately many people here in the US and abroad are what I classify as "preset jockeys" who will never utilize the potential of any instrument beyond the factory sounds or load VST's to expand on the sound palette. For them they want instant gratification without any work. That's where a large array of factory sounds will appease them. Yamaha sold a ton of DX7's not because people knew how to use them or because it was the best instrument available, but because the factory sound bank was quite nice and additional sound banks were readily available. That's why Yamaha sells so many damned PSR's too, not because they are the best sounding arranger (far from it), but because they are cheap and the factory sounds are pretty good.

Like Lionstracs, Wersi is constantly bettering their instruments to stay ahead of the competition and that includes offering more factory sounds and styles. It's not likely any large scale manufacturer (Yamaha, Roland, Korg) is going to enter the market share that you and Wersi have right now because it's a small niche. You and Wersi have a big jump on other manufacturers when it comes to open ended keyboards. Stay ahead of the game and I'm sure the Mediastation will catch on here in the USA. Keep up the good work!

#115065 - 04/08/08 03:52 PM Re: Wersi Abacus Review
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If Yamaha are reticent to even jump into the 76 note mid-line and up arranger market, you can pretty much guarantee they'll NEVER attempt this...!

But he has a point (one I've been making for a while now, as well)... If you could only make an MS come OOTB sounding better and with better styles than the Tyros's and PA2X's (and Roland's, even!), they would be lining up round the block to buy them...

Just do what Yamaha do... for the 'preset junkies' just sell online content (loops, sounds AND style, all neatly packaged) at regular intervals, and have a steady source of additional income. Keep it 'open' for the tweakers, but keep a steady supply of pre-digested content for those that would LOVE the keyboard, but NOT the work to make it sound good...

The hardware is great, but the CONTENT still has a long way to go. Freeze the design for a little while (as long as it is bug-free) and concentrate ALL your R&D on the content, and you'll be amazed at the difference in sales, I am sure...

#115066 - 04/08/08 04:33 PM Re: Wersi Abacus Review
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Got a 404 error on the review..........

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#115067 - 04/08/08 05:20 PM Re: Wersi Abacus Review
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
This whole thread has been a real treasure to read...Thanks everyone ..

------------------
createsongstyles.com

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#115068 - 04/09/08 12:04 AM Re: Wersi Abacus Review
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
Got a 404 error on the review..........

frown

Hi Hellboy
This thread was started in 2001, so the review would be irrelevant today as the Abacus would be running OAS 2 or 3, which means the only thing left that it is still used in OAS 7 are the OX 7 drawbars.
If you want a bit of nostalgia, then I think I still have some old reviews from about this time somewhere, if you’re interested.

Bill

#115069 - 04/09/08 12:25 AM Re: Wersi Abacus Review
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
So I have two options here:

1. Pretend I was kidding around.

2. Admit I didn't check the dates and made a silly boo boo.

Oh well -

OOPS!!!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#115070 - 04/09/08 02:35 AM Re: Wersi Abacus Review
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Hellboy
This thread was started in 2001, so the review would be irrelevant today as the Abacus would be running OAS 2 or 3, which means the only thing left that it is still used in OAS 7 are the OX 7 drawbars.
If you want a bit of nostalgia, then I think I still have some old reviews from about this time somewhere, if you’re interested.

Bill

i totally missed the first post's date...

#115071 - 04/09/08 06:02 AM Re: Wersi Abacus Review
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
me too...

#115072 - 04/09/08 03:15 PM Re: Wersi Abacus Review
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Here’s the review that was mentioned (2001, OAS 2 or 3) pretty crude compared to OAS 7 http://www.keyboard-cavalcade.co.uk/pdf/test.pdf

Bill

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online