SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#114170 - 10/17/06 05:12 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

Free AVG found these ....

Gerneric2 .KMB
Generic2.MUZ
Klone Virus ( on about 15 .dll files
Java Byte Verify

40 in all....it only healed 1.....
the rest 39 went to the Virus vault.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-17-2006).]

#114171 - 10/17/06 05:44 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You can delete the ones in the vault. However, it's best to leave them there temporarily, just to be sure that there are not files that appeared to be a virus, but in reality may have been essential to a program. Those kind of things can and do happen with all virus scanners, spyware and other computer cleaning programs.

If all your programs continue to work OK, then delete the vaulted files and they're gone. While they're in the vault they cannot effect your computer's operation.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#114172 - 10/17/06 06:47 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

thanx gary for the advice we'll see what happpens...................

#114173 - 10/17/06 07:08 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
RyanS Offline

Loc: Jackson, MO, USA
Another AVG Free user here. Been using it for 4 years now. I use it at work, at home, I installed it on my grandma's PC. The school district switched to it because it picked up a virus that Norton missed. I'm certainly not implying that Norton is inferior. However, AVG doesn't eat up resources and is not bloated like Norton.

#114174 - 10/17/06 11:07 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Dnj
If it’s in the vault its safe
I have AVG Free on my Laptop, and we also recommend it to domestic customers, (For most people it is fine) however it does have a limited range of Scanning Modes, and it is not as proactive (Stopping viruses getting in the first place) as the paid for security suites, (It also has issues with Networks) this is why there is a paid for version of AVG, which does not have any of the scanning modes disabled.
Regarding Norton; since the 2005 version it is now efficient with system resources, and so causes a minimal. Performance hit on the computer.
I have Norton installed on my main machines, (They are all networked) with the exception of Windows Vista, which has PC Cillin. (The only one that currently works with Vista)
BTW The latest MacAfee programs really eat up system resources.
Hope this helps

Bill

#114175 - 10/17/06 11:22 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
my vote goes for NOD32.

#114176 - 10/18/06 01:44 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I've got 2 PC's.

One runs XP, and has MacAfee Internet Security installed. In general this is unobtrusive but I've de-installed the Spam Filtering; it's a real resource hogger when you fire up Outlook and not stunningly accurate; I can do just as well using Outlook Rules. Prior to this I used Norton AntiVirus, which worked fine but definately hit performance.

My other machine runs Win98 that I use primarily as a fix / diagnostic platform; thats been running the free versions of AVG and ZoneAlarm for over a year. I can share the hard disc and so virus scan it using the MAcAfee system over my network, this may be slow but so far MacAfee has not identified anything on the Win98 machine that had not already been identified and quarantined by AVG.

I think the commercial AVG system adds anti-spyware and maybe firewall functionality, but I might be wrong!

#114177 - 10/18/06 02:26 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
NOD32.
i use it since last av, kaspersky did me wrong.
i've never had any virus or add,spy -ware going thru this one and i use it since march this year.
it is upgrading every day to their home virus database, so you're never behind.
easy to use.

#114178 - 10/18/06 04:45 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

Subject: how to delete these viruses...

Question
"Hi, i ran a viruses scan using AVg free edition today and found that some files were infected but they cannot be deleted.
the status of the files are
trojan horse downloader. Generic2 KMB and they are embeded. 5 other files are Virus identified java/byteverify

Answer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The best way to delete the infected file would be deleting it from safe mode. If you are not able to delete the identified file, remove the attrib from DOS mode.

-s -h -r would remove the attribs. If you have Windows XP, you can also delete it from Recovery console.. "

Anyone know if this works?

#114179 - 10/18/06 05:32 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Dnj
You will definitely be able to remove them using recovery console, but try the others first, as unless you are familiar with recovery console it can be a bit daunting, as it all has to be done through the command line.
You will also need to know the exact path of the file to use recovery console effectively. (E.g. C\My Documents\ Music\ Dnj\virus.exe)
Hope this helps

Bill

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online