SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#113634 - 10/20/07 10:49 PM did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
can't believe how i lucked into this on Craig's List: $100 for a Peavey XR-600e head plus a pair of Peavey DL112 speakers. the head has some cosmetic tears and scrapes in the casing but works fine, has all knobs. So i asked the seller if he had any old spkr cables he could throw in or sell me cheap since I had none up here in CT...and he says he has nothing like that but he would sell me a still-unused in-the-box pair of 25' hd gold-tipped Planet Waves for just $30 the pair! So i set it up in my barn yesterday in anticipation of my jam party today, and i wound up spending hours playing and singing through it (the spring reverb is sweet for vocals) and it sounds so full and rich and smooth i can hardly believe my ears. Here's the topper: the seller actually drove 40 miles to deliver it to my barn! anyone ever use this setup or similar? I'm tempted to take it back to Miami with me next week..i expected this older stuff to weigh a ton, but the head is 33 lbs and the big spkrs about 20..

------------------
Miami Mo

#113635 - 10/21/07 05:09 AM Re: did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
That XR 600 was a standard for bar bands for around the last 25 years. It started I think with the xr 600 then went to the 600c up to todays 600G.
We still use a couple of the xr 600c's for rentals a real workhorse.
You can download the manual from peavey if you want.
Great deal!

#113636 - 10/21/07 07:20 AM Re: did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I used a 600c for years with various 2 and 3-way speakers. I never had a complaint or a problem with the set up. The 600c was probably a little lighter than my present Mackie 808s, but the Mackie is much cleaner and more powerful - the 600 seemed easier to lug around. All in all, I would not hesitate to use another 600c and this time around I would probably look at the PR-12 or 15 cabinets.

#113637 - 10/21/07 08:11 AM Re: did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
keysvocalssax Offline

yo guys, as if i wasn't already feeling great about this, now i have corroboration..thankee kindly! btw, the guy who sold me the set is a young folk-singer-songwriter who now uses 2 Bose L's for his solo gigs!! this is like otherworldly to me, who was used to working sax gigs with great jazz pianists who bring the most crummy antiquated keyboards and amps to their gigs..in fact recently i've gone to some great jazz jams in upstate NY w/ some top rhythm sec cats rotating..and the piano players were all using drek..and of course sounding great anyway..which is why these people never bother themselves beyond finding something just kinda plays and sounds acceptable, and then beat it into the ground and never replace it until it breaks. here's a solo folkie investing in 2 Bose L's, and dumping the excellent Peavey system, which in my limited dinosaur worldview represents sufficient overkill for how he performs. i'm just making an observation that i find interesting and perplexing..not saying the jazz guys have it right or vice-versa, but it IS an amazing dichotomy of attitude, dontcha think? ps..edit was for typo corrections ------------------ Miami Mo

[This message has been edited by keysvocalssax (edited 10-21-2007).]

#113638 - 10/21/07 08:20 AM Re: did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mo,

I used the 600C for five years and hooked it up to a pair of Peavey SP5G speakers that tipped the scales at just under 80 pounds each. It was a good system, lots of punch, great bottem end, but they were a real bear to put on stands and at the end of the night, they were even more difficult to take down. Since switching to the Bose L1 system, life has been a lot easier. I know you'll have lots of fun with that system.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#113639 - 10/21/07 08:23 AM Re: did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
Dnj Offline

Mo good luck with your new system......
kill em out there baby!!

#113640 - 10/21/07 09:48 AM Re: did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
keysvocalssax Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Mo,

I used the 600C for five years and hooked it up to a pair of Peavey SP5G speakers that tipped the scales at just under 80 pounds each. It was a good system, lots of punch, great bottem end, but they were a real bear to put on stands and at the end of the night, they were even more difficult to take down.
Gary

Gary, these Peavey DL 112 speakers are 28 lbs each (long way from 80!)and they have convenient straphandles on top. funny how 5 lbs can
make such a difference, i thought they would be around 20 since they seemed sooooo much
lighter than the 33-lb head. they have a 12 in. woofer and a large midrange horn plus looks like 2 tweeters (can't tell for sure behind grate--might just be 2 portholes) I probably won't put them on stands unless necessary..they are tall cabinets and right now sound just great on the floor and i can
put the head right on top of one speaker and
just set them up on either side of my kb.

------------------
Miami Mo

#113641 - 10/21/07 10:28 AM Re: did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
MO.....Congratulations and enjoy the setup,
see, miracles do happen when you believe in them....hehehe
TR

#113642 - 10/21/07 10:33 AM Re: did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
keysvocalssax Offline

thanks Donny and Tony--right now i'm signing off for a few hours, my first jammers should be arriving shortly...a mix of jazz, blues, and bluegrass players..should be veeeeery interesting and looking to see how the Peavey sounds with all of them happninz

------------------
Miami Mo

#113643 - 10/21/07 02:38 PM Re: did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Hey Mo, just curious. When you head back to Miami, are you flying or driving? And if driving, going through or near Atlanta?

chas

#113644 - 10/21/07 05:12 PM Re: did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
keysvocalssax Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles: Hey Mo, just curious. When you head back to Miami, are you flying or driving? And if driving, going through or near Atlanta? chas
chas, nice of you to ask..we're driving, and after a sleepover at a friend in Philly will be stopping for dinner w/a drummer friend in Waynesville, NC (1/2 hr w. of Asheville) then push on to Spartanburg SC for sleepover and then we have to really push to make Miami on night of the 1st, so no chance of Atlanta.

#113645 - 10/21/07 05:29 PM Re: did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
keysvocalssax Offline

well here's my "Peavey Jam" report..started out nice and sane and got wild 'n woolly toward the end when several had their amps going at once.. so even though I had the speakers on the floor directly at my sides, i was having trouble hearing myself and knew better than to push it or i would be drowning out others. so that's when the speakers on the E60 really helped..I turned them up from 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock and lowered the pa head and problem solved. however, the XLR end of my mic cord grabbed the female socket and pulled it out of the head when it was over..don't know if was age of the unit or just bad tolerances, but not going to complain at price i paid, don't need all those xlr inputs and channel has a 1/4-in jack as well. What was very interesting was hearing so many of the cats there tell me that they and/or their bands used some version of the XLR-600 at one time w/ some version of Peavey speakers, and to a man they said that the unit was a dependable workhorse that always sounded good and never was short of power when they needed it. But i'm leaving it in the barn for next summer..still will be shopping for lighter stuff..as per dnj's cm-30 thread..

------------------
Miami Mo

#113646 - 10/21/07 09:03 PM Re: did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
well here's my "Peavey Jam" report..started out nice and sane and got wild 'n woolly toward the end when several had their amps going at once..
so even though I had the speakers on the floor directly at my sides, i was having trouble hearing myself and knew better than to push it or i would be drowning out others. so that's when the speakers on the E60 really helped..I turned them up from 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock and lowered the pa head and problem solved. however, the XLR end of my mic cord grabbed the female socket and pulled it out of the head when it was over..don't know if was age of the unit or just bad tolerances,
but not going to complain at price i paid,
don't need all those xlr inputs and channel
has a 1/4-in jack as well. What was very interesting was hearing so many of the cats there tell me that they and/or their bands
used some version of the XLR-600 at one time
w/ some version of Peavey speakers, and to
a man they said that the unit was a dependable workhorse that always sounded good
and never was short of power when they needed
it. But i'm leaving it in the barn for next
summer..still will be shopping for lighter stuff..as per dnj's cm-30 thread..

Mo after reading this post .....
Although very proficient for SMALL GIGS
I dont think the CM30 is gonna be good for your needs if your playing at that kind of loud volume....reread my review

#113647 - 10/22/07 07:26 AM Re: did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
keysvocalssax Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj: Mo after reading this post ..... Although very proficient for SMALL GIGS I dont think the CM30 is gonna be good for your needs if your playing at that kind of loud volume....reread my review
Donny, thanks, but that was unusual circumstances--someone brought their 13-yr-old kid gtrist who started rockin out, mandolin player plugged pickup into her amp, the elec bass, gtr, drums all got louder etc. My kb gigs in Miami are usually solo/duo in small venues, moderate size parties, street fairs etc. Most jams i just bring sax, if i bring kb they usually have a p.a. I wouldn't go w/cm-30 unless i got 2 of them or hooked one up w/a behringer K1800FX, say.. but I'm going to try a lot of stuff, incl the stagepas, the EV's..and also will try that lightweight Yamaha powered mixer that's pop now w/ my pair of squeir trapezoid 12's..lo-end i know but sound good.

------------------
Miami Mo

#113648 - 10/22/07 08:25 AM Re: did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
chas, nice of you to ask..we're driving, and
after a sleepover at a friend in Philly will be stopping for dinner w/a drummer friend in Waynesville, NC (1/2 hr w. of Asheville)
then push on to Spartanburg SC for sleepover and then we have to really push to make Miami
on night of the 1st, so no chance of Atlanta.

Too bad, Mo, but sounds like a fun-filled trip home. Atlanta has a very active and hip music scene so if you're ever in the area, be sure and let me know. Plus, you're more than welcome to stay here if you like (well, that is, if you bring the sax ). Have a safe trip.

chas

#113649 - 10/22/07 08:45 AM Re: did i ever get lucky w/p.a.!
keysvocalssax Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles: Too bad, Mo, but sounds like a fun-filled trip home. Atlanta has a very active and hip music scene so if you're ever in the area, be sure and let me know. Plus, you're more than welcome to stay here if you like (well, that is, if you bring the sax ). Have a safe trip. chas
thanks, evil twin, if i do i will remember to bring my own water (if we have any left after okeechobee dries up as bad as Ga) and i'm hip that even tho i can hold my own vs any sax-first kb convert around, i can't compete w/ a great kb person, as i'm sure you are, and i do love playing w/organ players.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online