SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#111859 - 07/15/05 03:37 PM What's wrong with my PSR3000?
Beakybird Offline

A few months ago, I experienced a mishap with my PSR3000. About three times in a two week period, the power turned off during a performance, immediately turning on again. Of course, I had to wait for it to boot up.

I thought that it could be the adapter, so I switched adapters, using my backup. Hadn't had the same problem since.

This week I have been experiencing the same problem, with the two-month old adapter. The third time it happened this week, it just about ruined the show at a nursing home because it happened so frequently. I tried a third adapter, the one I was using with my PSR3000 that I keep at home. Same problem.

It's not the extension cable or surge protector.

It's more likely that I have a faulty keyboard than three faulty adapters.

What would cause the keyboard to momentarily switch off? Jiggling the adapter near the input to the keyboard does nothing to recreate the problem. Looks like somthing inside.

Any clues?

Beakybird

#111860 - 07/15/05 04:31 PM Re: What's wrong with my PSR3000?
mr82thebar Offline

Loc: Baltimore,Md.
I no longer use Yamaha keyboards because of something simular. I had two PSR 3000's and both had motherboard problems. I also had the same problems with four(4) Tyros before sending the last one to California to be repaired under warranty. Since then, knock on wood ( my head) it's has been working fine.The Yammies are the best for the buck, but no good if not reliable. I am now using a PA80. hope i have better luck with it. Bob

#111861 - 07/15/05 04:38 PM Re: What's wrong with my PSR3000?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Larry,

I strongly suspect you have a cold solder joint on the power connector inside the keyboard. Unfortunately, cold solder joints have been a problem with the PSR and Tyros keyboards, and while it's an easy problem to fix, it's still a pain in the butt. You must first take the keyboard apart, then carefully resolder the connections where the power plug is afixed to the keyboard's circuit board.

Hope this helps,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#111862 - 07/15/05 06:00 PM Re: What's wrong with my PSR3000?
Beakybird Offline

Thank you Gary,

I had a similar problem with my PSR740. For the most part, I have had good luck with my Yammies.

Luckily, I know a young man, just out of high school, with a lot of technical expertise. He has been fixing my keyboards the last several years. He has fixed these types of things for me before. Hopefully, the problem is what Gary described.

Thank you,

Beakybird

#111863 - 07/15/05 07:33 PM Re: What's wrong with my PSR3000?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Man sorry to hear that. I got to be honest with you guys, now that I have this space at the new house to construct a personal studio I have scratched the PSR-3000, and probably all Yamaha arrangers off my list. I do agree that Yammie has the edge in the "bang for buck department", but in my opinion they severly lack in the overall "construction" quality. When I had my short run with the PSR-2000 I was quite happy with the sounds and features of that board. It was a joy to play (minus the problems I had), but man I was shocked at the quality of the construction on that keyboard. I did notice one button under the display (as talked about before regarding button quality) took a few extra presses at times. Also I was really thrown off by the quality of the pitchbend and modulation wheels. I don't know what type of spring they use, but man it really feels cheap and not solid. You need a smooth return action on the pitch wheel and the 2000 didn't have this. It appears the 3000 has the same wheels, and I'm quite sure their still using the same type of contacts with the buttons.

The way I see it is if I'm going to spend $1,500 on a keyboard I expect at that price for the board to have a solid construction. For less money you can get a Roland Fantom Xa, which is a really nice board (one on my list for consideration along with the new Alesis Fusion). Anyways the Roland is less and man the contruction is much more solid compared to the $1,500 PSR.

I never thought I'd find the joy I did in a Casio, but somehow I did. My 3500 is such a joy to play. It may be a cheaper board, but it surprises me all the time. It's pitchbend and modulation wheel are much better and more responsive than the PSR's. Even though it has the old style (rubber buttons), I've found over the years those types of buttons to be really reliable. Plus being able to load new samples (WOW). I've got this sample of a Steinway in my Casio that is AWSOME.

Anyways sorry to rant on there. There just seems to be a lot of complaints about the PSR's regarding the reliability of the machines. When members such as mr82thebar say they had (2) PSR-3000's with bad motherboards, and (4) (GEEEZZZZ OH MAN 4) Tyros keyboards that had problems!!!! That I think really says something because he's not alone.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#111864 - 07/15/05 10:46 PM Re: What's wrong with my PSR3000?
Beakybird Offline

Wait a second Squeak.

I play professionally. Albeit, I'm not a millionaire, but this PSR3000 has been to about 500 gigs. That's a lot of roughing up. It's been in my trunk through subzero cold and 90 degree heat. It's been turned on and off a lot and jostled around a lot.

I almost expect a keyboard to need repair under these circumstances. That is why I purchased two PSR3000s.

I am sure that there are other brands that have better construction. I feel, however, that the PSR3000 is built adequately.

Comparing it to a Roland Fantom is like apples and oranges. For $1500 you can also get a great motorcycle. By the way, I spent a lot less than $1500 on the PSR3000.

Anyway, I posted this to get ideas of what my techy should look for when he opens up my keyboard.

I think the PSR3000 is an amazing keyboard. I wish there was as much competition in making arranger keyboards as there is with cell phones or computer motherboards. But among the few competitors to Yamaha, I haven't found anything that does it for me. I'm so comfortable with the PSR3000, it just feels right. The other keyboards seem like having to learn a foreign language.

Beakybird

#111865 - 07/16/05 12:06 AM Re: What's wrong with my PSR3000?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Ok guys. Here's my 2 cents: I'm a longtime Tyros owner (2-1/2 years) who's been professionally gigging with it for over 2-1/2 years & haven't yet experienced any problems or need for repair, other than the USB port hardware update performed by Yamaha USA & repair paid by them (under warranty) even though it was well over a year after I purchased the KB. Both my Tyros as well as the PSR2000 (my previous Yamaha keyboard) though not as solidly built (plastic body vs metal body) continue to withstand the rigors of frequent gig transport, I just need to take a little more care in handling and transport & though I certainly don't play the keys timidly whatsoever, I don't BANG on the keys either. I find it well worth the extra care given to my kb to gain the tremondously lighter weight up to 25 lbs lighter than the top of the line model equivilent competitor's arr kb), a big plus especially for us one man band performing musician-entertainers. I haven't suffered a sore back (resulting from hauling a kb) in years now. Knock on wood. - Scott

#111866 - 07/16/05 06:13 AM Re: What's wrong with my PSR3000?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Three to five hours a day of playing Yamaha keyboards for a whole lot of years and never had a problem. I agree with Larry and Scott, these things are incredible, and thankfully, they are made of plastic. I no longer wish to lift a keyboard that weighs half of what I weigh.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#111867 - 07/16/05 06:14 AM Re: What's wrong with my PSR3000?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Breakybird, if the board works for you than that's great. We each have our own thoughts on this subject. It's just that for me personally I need a board that feels more solid under my fingers. I use the pitchbend and modulation extensively. I always feel like the Yamaha wheels are going to break under my fingers, and due to the level of construction the wheels actually prevent one from doing some things.

Here's an example. If you've got good control on your wheel and how to use it you can pull off way more convincing vibrato using your pitchbend wheel as opposed to the modulation wheel. There's a trick you do with your thumb on the pitchbend that gives you more control and a more natural vibrato effect. The return spring in the PSR's limit this use of that affect once the wheel is pressed up or down. (hope that made sense).

When it comes to sounds and features, man Yamaha really takes the cake in so many areas there. I love their sweet, cool, and live voices, their EP's make your mouth water, their orchestral instruments are beautiful, and their styles are strong, yet simple enough to not overpower the player. It's just that I feel their build quality needs work. Sure you could use a midi controller for better wheels and key action, but if you pay $1,500 (I know some pay less but many I'm sure pay the catalog price) for a keyboard then that board should already have good quality keys and solid construction. I know the 3000 and Fantom Xa are like apples and oranges, but they both share the same critique on overall build quality.

My studio is going to consist of one professional arranger, and one good qualty synth. There's one arranger (actually 2) that Yamaha produced in the past that had nice keys, and good wheels. The PSR-9000, and 9000 Pro were decent. Actually the 9000 Pro shares the same basic body structure as the Yamaha EX-5. The 9000 Pro had the same synth action keybed, and the same wheels. If I do consider a more recent Yamaha for my layout it will most likely be a used Tyros. That's still up in the air though. If the PSR-3000 had better keys, and improved wheels I'd buy that model.

To be honest I really wish there was a module form of the PSR-3000. Something set up like the Ketron X-4. To me that would be awsome. You'd have all the incredible features of the PSR-3000, but minus the keys and wheels. This way you could save space and use something like a pro synth to control it. Is there really no market for something like that???? I know it has been asked of Yamaha many times, but they say no.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-16-2005).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online