SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#111014 - 02/27/00 11:10 AM Re: Got Jammer Live Today!
elle Offline

Laptops and Gigsampler are not on...yet. The closest is Egosys (www.egosys.co.kr) who has an audio pcmia card+box (the Wamibox), for which they are working on the needed GSIF (gigasampler-interface) low latency driver. If you intend to use a laptop please mail Egosys to urge them on their driver :-)

Also a bum is the 5400 or lower rpm of laptop HDs (saving energy). Here, the way out is using an second external HD.

By the way one better uses ALWAYS 2 HDs for a gigsampler DAW (digital audio workstation): the boot disk for Win98 and the GS program and a second exclusively for gig samples.

#111015 - 02/27/00 09:33 PM Re: Got Jammer Live Today!
Jick Duck Offline

Loc: Brooklyn NY
So...
Here we are,
(Prices are estimated)

PII/PIII 400-500 Mhz
2-5 gig harddrive (for system & software)
5-40 gig fast harddrive (for samples)
128-256 RAM
Compatible soundcard(preferebly with own effects)
Win98 (Win98 Lite)
=$500-$1800

Gigasampler = $299 (250?)
(or Gigasampler LE for $99)

JammerLive = $50

good 76 key cntroler with some sliders = $500-$900

TOTAL = approximatelly $1150-$3000(max)

Why get an arranger keyboard (assuming no latency problems) if this system is much more powerfull, sounds "much" nicer, can be much cheaper, and is expandable and upgradable?
Doesn't everyone agree with me?

About portability: I think that a small to average computer with a small cheap monitor (maybe even LCD) is not that of a problem esspecially considering the advantages.
Doesn't everyone agree with me?

Thank you very much. This is really a great BBS!

------------------
Jick

#111016 - 02/27/00 10:28 PM Re: Got Jammer Live Today!
Jick Duck Offline

Or you can even leave out the Gigasampler and just get the 500mb General Midi library. It's better than any sampler, no? -$300
(+ ??? How much does the 500mb GM library with operating software cost?)

------------------
Jick

#111017 - 02/28/00 12:32 AM Re: Got Jammer Live Today!
elle Offline

Conexant GM500 = $149 http://www.nemesysmusic.com/gssound.htm http://www.conexant.com/pressroom/releases/10131999-1.asp

GS full = $237, $149 upgrade for Gigastudio www.audiotracks.com

As for JLive...let's push Soundtrek for an style exchange forum (like Line6 POD exchange) http://www.line6.com/Main/The_LUP/Patch_Exchange/conference/patchx.html

#111018 - 02/28/00 09:17 AM Re: Got Jammer Live Today!
Clif Anderson Offline

I thinking asking Soundtrek for a style exchange forum is a great idea. If Soundtrek does not move on this idea, there are other alternatives. Bob Gelman has been running two very successful e-bay forums for Yamaha keyboards, including a 20MB vault of Yamaha styles.

The current I am working on now is capable of video capture (with two UW SCSI drives), so I am sure it can handle Gigasampler. But I would not mind hearing about any more portable solutions. I am thinking that some AC-powered lunch-box type computer with built in LCD screen might do the trick as long as it has room for a second hard drive.

Clif

#111019 - 02/28/00 01:24 PM Re: Got Jammer Live Today!
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Frank

Could you explain in a little more detail what it is you want to do that Jammer Live cannot do?

Clif

#111020 - 02/28/00 06:25 PM Re: Got Jammer Live Today!
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Frank

Thanks for the clarification. Some more related questions. Do you have an arranger keyboard now--if so what is it? What would you use as your controller for Jammer Live if you do not get the PSR-9000?

Clif

#111021 - 02/28/00 06:45 PM Re: Got Jammer Live Today!
Jick Duck Offline

Hi Frank,
I just don't get the problem. (Am I missing something?) Why do you have to send the right hand voice(es) through Jammerlive? Set up the controller so that it sends left hand (below the split point) to, lets say, midi channel 1 and right hand to channel 2. Now have Gigasampler use any voice you want for channel 2 (or you can use a second or third voice on channel 3 & 4 respectivally). Now have Jammerlive recieve from channel 1, and I don't know over which channels Jammerlive sends it's accompaniment (midi) signals (I suppose you can program them), but have Gigasampler use the voices you want for those channels (which is the accompaniment) lets say channels 8,9,10,11,12,13,14 and 15 (8 channels for your 8 part accomp.) Can't even a simple midi controller split the channels. I suppose that you can pick what should be sent over which channel from whatever program or controller.
Thank you.

------------------
Jick

#111022 - 02/28/00 11:49 PM Re: Got Jammer Live Today!
elle Offline

Considering formants and harmonies: check the Waves's ProFX. There is a DX plugin called Ultrapitch and it can do 6 voice harmonies with altered formants, pitch and timing (you can set the voices before and after original voice so it sounds like real singers).

#111023 - 02/29/00 04:07 AM Re: Got Jammer Live Today!
elle Offline

Got this back form the local Jammer dealer.

---------
I believe that the Jammer Live should deal perfectly with the Conexant libraries, as they are General Midi compatible. The only problem you could encounter (with Jammer or any other MIDI program) would be an eventual latency problem (which I don't believe would happen, we all know that Nemesys internal drivers are well written... ;-). Anyway, this latency wouldn't be produced by the driving MIDI program (whatever it is), but by the response time of Nemesys' program, which, honestly, I doubt to ever happen. We did here numerous test with our programs remoting the GigaSampler, and we never noticed any latency anyway.
------------

We will test the GS/GM500/JL combination in a week or so.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online