SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#110123 - 08/26/06 04:13 AM Re: Anyone have the E80 Yet? lets hear a review?
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi again, George,

So, from what you say about the dates being pushed back a bit (to Christmas, maybe?), I guess that would mean the same probably applies to the Canadian release date. I can't see that they'd program anything different from the U.S. version in the Canadaian one, unless they put in a bi-lingual touch screen and button labels or something - just kidding.

And Nepean!!! Darn, that's 2,500 miles, in the snow, with no boots on, uphill all the way, and back.

#110124 - 08/26/06 08:57 AM Re: Anyone have the E80 Yet? lets hear a review?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've got mixed feelings about the E80, and it's delayed US release......

Firstly, the entire style ROM is easily changeable on an E80/G70, so sales are being lost needlessly if units ARE available, but I admit that much of the G70's initial unfavorable reviews in the US came from the styles not being well voiced for US listeners (is it the beer-hall sound? - why do europeans like so much reverb??), and maybe they are being more cautious this time........

Secondly, it IS encouraging that Roland finally DO realize there is a huge difference between the European and US markets, and are finally willing to take the time to voice and style appropriately. For those of us with G70s, this is only going to result in more styles that will be more useful to us (never having used a schlager style in my life!).

Thirdly, perhaps the extra time taken over the re-voicing will allow them to review their sales and marketing plans for the arranger line, something that most consider a disaster currently, and even worse for the future......

The removal of Roland's arranger line from the MI division to the CK division two years ago cannot have been anything other than a total disaster, with the G70 withering on the vine, relegated to few and far between CK dealers, with regional exclusivity (and the MUCH higher prices and profit margins that implies) but no corporate mandate to carry the line. Hence, it is MUCH harder for anyone to even go and try a Roland arranger, yet alone negotiate a decent price.

But how could Roland make this situation even worse? Try moving the G70 BACK to the MI division AND dropping its' MSRP, but still keeping the rest of the line in the CK division........ So now, not only will the E80 be just as hard to find as G70s were, with the MI divisions deeper discounts the E80 is likely to be at least $1000 more expensive than the G70, not worth it IMHO......

I swear, the only explanation I can think of is that somehow, Korg or Yamaha have managed to get a sleeper mole into the boardroom at Roland. Nothing else makes any sense........

#110125 - 08/27/06 01:28 AM Re: Anyone have the E80 Yet? lets hear a review?
MikeTV Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
When it was demonstrated at Blackpool, one thing that sticks in my mind is that the film Music Style (I think) has the longest Intro on any Arranger Keyboard. (I think I counted 32 bars)

Bill

The old Korg i3 and its relatives could do 32 bar long intros (and fills,endings,and all other style elements) way back in 1993, or whenever it was it came out. That's 32 bars continuous without looping. Ain't nothing new here........

Regards - Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeTV (edited 08-27-2006).]

#110126 - 08/27/06 05:07 AM Re: Anyone have the E80 Yet? lets hear a review?
T42 Offline

Loc: UK
With a 32 bar intro I could start it playing, nip to the bar and have a quick pint and return just in time to start playing... OMG get me an E80 now, I've always wanted an excuse to nip to the bar before my break whilst playing lol

#110127 - 08/27/06 09:18 AM Re: Anyone have the E80 Yet? lets hear a review?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mike Roland could also..matter a fact you can go way beyond 32 measures..You can even play a whole SMF as an intro if you want..

#110128 - 08/28/06 12:25 PM Re: Anyone have the E80 Yet? lets hear a review?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by T42:
With a 32 bar intro I could start it playing, nip to the bar and have a quick pint and return just in time to start playing... OMG get me an E80 now, I've always wanted an excuse to nip to the bar before my break whilst playing lol

As a performer Drinking on a gig is a big NO No around here and frowned upon by banquet, bar and club owners, etc ..
I think its a good rule for sure....Drinking & playing is as bad as Drinking & driving or smoking on stage.....how do you people feel about it?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-28-2006).]

#110129 - 08/28/06 12:29 PM Re: Anyone have the E80 Yet? lets hear a review?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Sometimes , drinking seems like the only way to get through the night lol.

#110130 - 08/28/06 12:42 PM Re: Anyone have the E80 Yet? lets hear a review?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
Sometimes , drinking seems like the only way to get through the night lol.

To me and the audience it hinders a performers ability to entertaine.
I get high on my music

#110131 - 08/28/06 12:44 PM Re: Anyone have the E80 Yet? lets hear a review?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
And never look at the pretty women on the dance floor........................yeah RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

#110132 - 08/28/06 12:45 PM Re: Anyone have the E80 Yet? lets hear a review?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
And never look at the pretty women on the dance floor........................yeah RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

Especially when they are between 80-90 yrs old

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online