SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#109067 - 11/01/07 09:20 AM Re: Will It Ever or When Will It Be Safe To Buy The S900
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Guy`s ,

This is really great !!

We { me } are getting some super advice and input.
Gee I`m glad I thought of this thread !! LOL

It has been a joy , to hear some great things about the S900 after so much has been said about the bad.

Tim , thanks for your input about the rubber buttons , big help !

Ian & Tim ,
Like I said I did have a chance to try one and the buttons were really bad , but that's not what I need to ask !

The manual states that " For some SA voices a sustain peddle may be needed " ,
Would I be correct in thinking for sounds like the SA guitar sound and brass sounds like a Sax ? ( fret noise / breath noise ) .

Cubase , that is sequencing only right ? If so , do you guy`s know of a good notation software program , that will work with an Intel Mac and not break the bank !!

I have Garage Band , but that is mostly loops and sequencing , not a whole lot of notation , but then I really haven`t had a chance to get to involved with the program so far.

Anyway , great help and advice !! I thank you all !

Later,
Gary

PS:
Keep them coming , still deciding

#109068 - 11/01/07 09:26 AM Re: Will It Ever or When Will It Be Safe To Buy The S900
Dnj Offline

#109069 - 11/01/07 10:13 AM Re: Will It Ever or When Will It Be Safe To Buy The S900
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
DNJ - I think he meant 'Garage Band' software, not that he plays in one.

GARY - the extra pedal (there's a socket for sustain and one for expression) can be used on certain SA sounds to add additional expression:

Guitar - body slap (which gets really old really fast) or on some, it allows a switch to guitar harmonics.
Sax - taking a breath (which is totally useless)
Trumpet - falls up or down
And a few others - some useful, some gimicky, but overall, a nice feature.

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#109070 - 11/01/07 11:49 AM Re: Will It Ever or When Will It Be Safe To Buy The S900
Beakybird Offline

I have two PSR-S900's, both of which are working perfectly. I have been gigging heavily with one for the past few months without problem.

If you want to wait a couple of years before you make a decision, I'll inform you if they're still working problem-free.

Beakybird

#109071 - 11/01/07 02:24 PM Re: Will It Ever or When Will It Be Safe To Buy The S900
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Hey Ian,

Two things:

1. A little more info on the Audio to USB please
and
2. I did notice an "edited by" you on a post on this thread. Since the edit button is gone, was it a test to see if we're paying attention?

Also, didn't the ol' Technics, KN2K, 3K, and 5K have rubber buttons? I don't recall anyone complaining about them, or heard of anyone wearing them out.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#109072 - 11/01/07 03:11 PM Re: Will It Ever or When Will It Be Safe To Buy The S900
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Larry,

The Audio to USB works much the same as on the Tyros2 (the difference is you can't overdub) , but unlike the T2, you don't need a HD...the data is stored on a Flashdrive.

You can record to the on-board MIDI recorder, and the finished song can be played back and recorded as CD quality audio to the flash drive...or you can record directly to the latter.

You can also connect a microphone or guitar to the mic/line input and enjoy recording a guitar and keyboard performance together, or record your singing along with song playback.

Gary Diamond mentioned another use a friend of his found for it...a quote from Gary...

"One of the neat things I recently discovered about a friend's S-900 was the ability to record vocal backing tracks. What an incredible feature. You can record the vocal harmony track for a song such as "In The Still Of The Night" by the Five Satins whilst recording the midi file, then provide the lead vocals and lead instrumentals live over the WAV recording--WOW! And, it can all be saved on the USB drive in a registration. "

I'm sure there will be more tricks.

Hope this helps.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-01-2007).]

#109073 - 11/01/07 03:22 PM Re: Will It Ever or When Will It Be Safe To Buy The S900
jedi Offline

Hi Guy`s ,

Hey Donny , Tim is right , I was taking about the Garage Band software that comes with Mac computer`s.
It a bare bones type of deal , but something to mess around with and it`s either "real" MIDI or USB.

Hi Beakybird , "wait a couple of years" , LOL , I am taking my time yes , but I think I`ll have something before a couple of years !! I`m happy to hear that you are A-OK with the rubber buttons too.

Tim , thanks for the info about the sustain peddle and the SA voices I kind of had that idea from playing the two that I tried , some SA voices are OK and others are ok !!

Well again , I want to thank you guy`s for your help and support. This forum has always been a great help.

To be honest , I don`t know why I`m so hung up about the rubber buttons !
I mean my PSR-510 / PSS-S47 & X4500 , thay all had rubber buttons and never gave it a second thought.
It either is my old age or something in the water !! LOL

Take care , and thanks !!
Gary

But my Y2K did have plastic buttons as we all know !!

#109074 - 11/01/07 09:16 PM Re: Will It Ever or When Will It Be Safe To Buy The S900
Dnj Offline

Sorry Jedi I stand corrected.

#109075 - 11/02/07 05:58 AM Re: Will It Ever or When Will It Be Safe To Buy The S900
jedi Offline

Hi Donny,

Please , don`t be sorry , I'm the one with the Mac !! LOL

You have been a great help , as you all have.

I truly don`t know what or when I will get a new KB , but taking my time seems to be the best way to go right now.

The Pa800 is still on my list , as is the E-80.

So , who knows !! &

Maybe I`ll get an electric harmonica !!! LOL

Take care, later ,
Gary

#109076 - 11/04/07 06:21 AM Re: Will It Ever or When Will It Be Safe To Buy The S900
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by jedi:

I have Garage Band , but that is mostly loops and sequencing , not a whole lot of notation , but then I really haven`t had a chance to get to involved with the program so far.

I start all my electronic music classes out on Garage band, and have found that is the most fun I've ever had making real music edits on a pc. Up until this program, I had only used proTools or hard disks. GB is 90% complete. If there is enough memory to avoid the Timeouts, it is a worthy tool for editing, sequencing, etc. Did you know that you can import a wave file and chop it up? Add tracks?
There is also a mac supplied tutotial. Very informative.
We record serious music with it every day at school. It's simple, reliable and free !

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online