SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#108474 - 11/22/02 05:41 AM This one will ruffle some feathers .......
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I have to say it again:
I hate the word "gig". Somehow it just takes a little of the seriousness of the art away. Maybe years ago, in smoky bars and jazz clubs it was "hip" to use the expression, but in todays market of expanded potential, it seems more logical to call work "work". This is a viable way to earn a living and should be treated as such.

*** Disclaimer ***

This is not directed at anyone here...or anyone's usage of the word. I just think, like many traditions (good and bad) - this one should fade away. makes me feel like it's "less" of a job, somehow.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 11-22-2002).]

#108475 - 11/22/02 05:46 AM Re: This one will ruffle some feathers .......
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
What's the matter Dave, not enough gigs lately ?

#108476 - 11/22/02 06:01 AM Re: This one will ruffle some feathers .......
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
UD,

I tend to agree with you. When anyone asks what I'm doing for the weekend, and I tell them I'm going to work, they almost always answer "work? That's not work!" It aggravates me to no end! The "layman" seems to think our equipment gets set-up and broken down by some 'imaginary roadies', and all we do is show up, sing, get paid, then go home. Ughhhh!!!

Angelo

#108477 - 11/22/02 06:17 AM Re: This one will ruffle some feathers .......
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
not enough gigs lately ?

No time for "gigs" ... I WORK too much!

This years total is almost 300 already, and I'm just gettin into the busiest season.
It's just hard to take a "gig" serious. It's an OK expression as a nickname once in a while, but let's face it .... work is serious. I like to take pride in my work, and ever since it became a full time living (after college)it's been harder to take a casual attitude towards it.

No big deal ... just wanted to let off some steam. I occsionally DO use the word, but it sounds funny coming from my own mouth.
Who really cares anyway? Just idle thoughts as I prepare for my get-a-way with my redhead ! Tomorrow can't get here soon enough !

#108478 - 11/22/02 06:22 AM Re: This one will ruffle some feathers .......
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Pro ... don't worry about UD. he could give US some ...
I fully realize that it takes a great amount of WORK for us to be able to go out and PLAY ... I've always said that I get paid for the learning, practice, rehearsals, setting up, and breaking down, but not for the playing and singing .... even with all that goes into it, I never want to consider "playing a gig" work, because that would change the whole concept for me ..... as far as I'm concerned, the only difference between me and a "star" is that I also have to be the roadie, the sound guy, the lighting guy, etc., etc. ..... and let's be honest... when doing private parties we have a good time feeding our egos while we are playing/singing, we get fed, sometimes have a drink, we (often) take a break every hour (I know, that depends on the gig, the crowd, etc.), and at the end of the night WE get paid ... as far as work goes, it sure beats a lot of other things we could be doing...
Many years ago I was having a discussion with a friend about income, and he stated that many people had to work a second job to make ends meet ... I stated that I hoped I never had to do that ... he said "you already have a second job... you work weekends as a musician don't you?" ... I didn't consider it a 'second JOB' then, and I don't now..... AND, I like to feel that if I had to get paid for my talent, no one could afford me, or I would have to work underpaid!!!
t.
PS ..... anyone know the origin of the word gig? .....

#108479 - 11/22/02 06:27 AM Re: This one will ruffle some feathers .......
Uncle Dave Offline

G et
I n(the)
G roove ??????

#108480 - 11/22/02 06:31 AM Re: This one will ruffle some feathers .......
Uncle Dave Offline

G oing
I nsane
G radually ???????

#108481 - 11/22/02 06:32 AM Re: This one will ruffle some feathers .......
Uncle Dave Offline

and the winner is ....

G ettin'
I nto
G irls !

#108482 - 11/22/02 06:32 AM Re: This one will ruffle some feathers .......
Uncle Dave Offline

G osh
I 'm
G ood ...........

#108483 - 11/22/02 06:35 AM Re: This one will ruffle some feathers .......
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi I too wondered where the word came from and ....

According to Wiltons word & Phrase origins you Americans invented the word (So UD you only have yourselves to blame )

"This brings us to the most common sense, that of a musician's engagement or job. The musical sense dates to 1926 and first arose as jazz slang in the US. But the origin is not in music. The use of gig to mean a non-musical job or occupation dates to 1908, and the sense of a business affair or event is a year older than that. The origin is unknown, but it may come from the slang term gag. This dates to 1890 and means business method, practice, or behavior. All these sense are American slang usages. "

Best wishes
Tony W

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online