SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#107885 - 01/25/05 03:42 PM Internal news about the new Tyros II.
tigerfool Offline

Loc: kingston, RI USA
I just heard from a friend about the Tyros II. I here share with everybody here.

The design process of Tyros began way back from June of 2004. It seems impossible for Yamaha to accept any new suggestions. It is said that Tyros II will enter into mass production from July 2005. The expected retail price would be Euro 3600.

As compared to Tyros, Tyros will have:

[*]Sampling function(same as 9000Pro)

[*]improved touch feeling of keys

[*]new voices and styles

[*]Playable mega voice(originally, mega voice only applies to Styles and sequences and cannot be played in real time.)

[*]improved Voice Harmonizer.

[*]functions to record direct to hard drive.

[*]SmartMedia support. Digital audio output interface.

[*]video and RGB output (changable)

[*]Two USB ports for connections to storage devices and computer.

[*]Internet connectivity.

#107886 - 01/25/05 04:11 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
That sounds pretty cool, but cool enough for a couple thousand more than the tyros 1? We will just have to wait and see. Im sure your right though, any more suggestions will most likely not be added. Im sure going through committees, engineered, and mass produced in a matter of 7 months is slim, you never know though. Im sure they dont pump out that many Tyros, thousands of dollars dont sell that many. So they may be able to squeeze a few more things in. I may be wrong though.
Phil

#107887 - 01/25/05 04:33 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
All I can say is, it better have 76 keys or I'm abandoning the line for another manufacterers board.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#107888 - 01/25/05 05:43 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
tigerfool Offline

I just talked to my informant, he told me that definately a 61 key. Not 76, sadly.

#107889 - 01/25/05 05:51 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Dnj Offline

What.....No Speakers?

#107890 - 01/25/05 06:06 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tigerfool:
I just talked to my informant, he told me that definately a 61 key. Not 76, sadly.

That is regrettable. With 76 keys this would have been an ideal keyboard for me, and I would surely held off upgrading my G1000 (76 keys) to something else (most likely G70 - also 76 keys), which is what I am about to do.

Still, thanks for sharing this info with us, tigerfool.

Regards,
Alex

#107891 - 01/25/05 06:16 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
How much is Euro 3600 in USD and how much is the current Tyros? Actually, retail price is really not as important as street price.

#107892 - 01/25/05 06:27 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
How much is Euro 3600 in USD and how much is the current Tyros? Actually, retail price is really not as important as street price.

3600 Euro = $4689.00 US

#107893 - 01/25/05 06:46 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Pennywizz6 Offline

I really dont see the value in the tyros 2, 4 1/2k... i saw this one keyboard that had a full blown dual 1.5ghz processor, 17inch lcd built in and so on for around that much. I wish i could find it again, it was way sweet. I dont have any exsperiance or seen/heard it before, but on paper i would much rather see one of them in my house.

Today I played a prs550 i think, does the tyros/psr 1500+ have the same keys? I really didnt like the feel, and would play if you slowly pressed the key. My roland wont play unless its at a certain velocity, to me a great feature i wouldnt want a KB to be without, to me it adds a great deal in the shape of the music, and that occasional bump of an unwanted key wont wreck your song.

Phil

#107894 - 01/25/05 07:01 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
No Music Finder IMPROVEMENTS?
Does Music Finder record continue to jump back to first song entry when leaving screen?
No Music Finder link to styles on HD?
No Music Finder link to Registration Files?
NO increase in USER memory Storage capacity?

If not, such a missed opportunity on Yamaha's part to potentially take the Tyros to the NEXT level, especially because of all the suggestions given here about improving the Music Finer.

If not, it's definitely not worth upgrading from Tyros I IMHO. I'll most likely will STICK to (and remain happy ) with Tyros I, especially now since Yamaha's finally gotten all the bugs out of it. I would only suspect that Tyros II will have bugs to contend with & get worked out over (hopefully not a l-o-n-g ) time like it seems it took for Tyros I.

- Scott

#107895 - 01/25/05 07:06 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
From what I've heard, most of what you have suggested will be in the Tyros II is correct. The one thing I heard was that it will have sampling memory to load samples in but not actually have an input to sample directly into the keybaord. This might not be the case though. Everything else you say is what I hear as well. 61 keys.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#107896 - 01/25/05 07:18 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
kbrkr Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerfool:

Well then, goodbye Tyros. Time to start looking at other boards. I just cannot stand the Tyros keys, key feel, and length.

Maybe I'll do a Korg Pax1 or a G70 with a Motif ES Rack.

Al

#107897 - 01/25/05 08:05 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I have an idea for a Tyros III - it'd be cool for Yamaha to invent a keyboard that could be expanded. It seems like you could have a 61-note arranger with covered side areas on either side of the keybed that could be removed and an expansion keybed plugged in. For that matter you could have optional plug-in powered speaker modules also. Oh well.

A 61-note keyboard on a Tyros II is a deal-breaker for me too. It's a non-negotiable point. Guess that's why it's being called a "Tyros II" instead of a "Tyros Pro".

#107898 - 01/26/05 12:09 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Speaking in very naive terms, "glueing" the Psr 9000 pro keyboard mechanics (that many people here have praised) in a Tyros design, surely is not a big deal for the hardware designers of Yamaha.
Actually IMHO it is nothing, probably something like "plugging it in". No major design changes.
Makes you wonder why they won't do such a thing. Tyros is too much money and too much keyboard for me to buy, but I realise that 76 keys mean world to many pros.

Send a picture of yourself, playing a competitor's keyboard in a pro situation, with the quote "I would buy Tyros in an instant, if it had 76 keys, so think again!" to a Yamaha exec.
Maybe that will work. At least you will get a laugh.

Maybe that will work.

#107899 - 01/26/05 02:27 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Beakybird Offline

It looks like it will be a great keyboard. I am surprised by the jump in price. If this is true, I don't think many Tyros owners will jump. The SmartMedia option is also surprising. SmartMedia is obsolete now. Those cards will be very hard to find in a couple of years when Tyros III still hasn't come out.

Beakybird

#107900 - 01/26/05 04:14 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
kbrkr Offline

They don't sell Grand Pianos (for the most part) with 61 keys. Most professional digital piano's have either 76 or 88 keys. Korg and Roland clearly see the value in 76 keys in a keyboard. Why can't Yamaha understand there are people out there that just can't do arranging fuctions with only 61 keys? The Piano was meant to have 88 keys, not 61. 76 is a good compromise.

I want my 76 keys!

#107901 - 01/26/05 04:21 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Dnj Offline

TYROS II sounds like just another recycled kb to sell old parts

#107902 - 01/26/05 05:14 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
How much is SRP of current Tyros in USD? Dnj says Tyros II is $4,689.

#107903 - 01/26/05 06:13 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
tigerfool Offline

I think it is $3499. The actual retailing price is around $3000.

#107904 - 01/26/05 06:29 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Alex K Offline

Let's not get too hung up about the price yet. The prices in the US are not always automatically converted from European ones. Also, most Euro prices include VAT, or a similar tax, which is around 17% (?). So let's wait and see what the actual features and price be, before jumping to conclusions.

#107905 - 01/26/05 07:00 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I am an old organ player. I never have played piano. I have no problem with the Tyros having 61 keys. I also have no problem with the key size and feel.

Tom

#107906 - 01/26/05 07:26 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
I have an idea for a Tyros III - it'd be cool for Yamaha to invent a keyboard that could be expanded. It seems like you could have a 61-note arranger with covered side areas on either side of the keybed that could be removed and an expansion keybed plugged in. For that matter you could have optional plug-in powered speaker modules also. Oh well.

A 61-note keyboard on a Tyros II is a deal-breaker for me too. It's a non-negotiable point. Guess that's why it's being called a "Tyros II" instead of a "Tyros Pro".

You come up with the greatest ideas. Kudos to you Pro. You are always thinking out of the box.
The Tyros is very big, big enough to have 76 keys. An instrument dealer can have spare keybeds in stock. When a customer wants to buy a Tyros, he asks, will that be 76 or 61 keys. 76? Ok. He removes the 61 keybed, pulls out the two covering panels on both sides, and slides in the 76 keybed. Yamaha does not have to manufacture a 61 & 76 keyboard, just the keybed. Don't like the feel of that one? Ok. try this premium keybed instead.
Starkeeper

#107907 - 01/26/05 07:44 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Ohrenarzt Offline

The head is very big, big enough to have a brain. A surgeon can have spare brains in stock. When a customer wants to buy a head, he asks, will that be low level or high-level brain. High? Ok. He removes top of the head, pulls out the two covering panels on both sides, and slides in high-level brain. God does not have to manufacture a brain, just the head. Don't like the feel of that one? Ok. Try this premium brain instead.

#107908 - 01/26/05 07:55 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
I think Yamaha is just playing the feild and staying in the game until they come out with an all new series including arranger based on VST. I'm sure they already have prototypes. Don't be surprised to see something in the imediate future.

#107909 - 01/26/05 08:36 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
For those of us with chronic tennis elbow, the light and short key feel of the Tyros is a real plus!

Yes, I prefer 76 keys, but frankly I like the light weight of the current Tyros. And, I have figured out workarounds when I need those extra keys, so it still works.

Like Scott, I was bitterly disappointed to see no improvement in the Music Finder. The Song Book on the Korg Pa1X is awesome!

Also, there has to be some increase in the User space, I am sure they cannot miss that one!

I have to believe the price will be similar to the current Tyros, or their sales will drop dramatically.

------------------
Graham

#107910 - 01/26/05 01:24 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
tonkan Offline

Loc: Sweden
It would be very strange if the have not increased the number of real time parts. Especially a manual bass part for foot bass players.
Everyting else I could live with.

#107911 - 01/26/05 03:59 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
KN_Fan Offline

Keyboard manufacturers keep making keyboards without listening to the USER's needs...this is a conspiracy!!!

If I had a dime everytime somebody said "I want 76 keys, user friendly, good sounds, and compatibility" I'd be able to afford that Pa1X!

#107912 - 01/26/05 04:07 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Sounds to me like the PSR 3000 is still going to be the keyboard to buy. Or buy a new tyros now before they switch. I haven't seen anything that would make me want to upgrade to tyros II.

#107913 - 01/26/05 04:16 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Pennywizz6:
. i saw this one keyboard that had a full blown dual 1.5ghz processor, 17inch lcd built in and so on for around that much. I wish i could find it again, it was way sweet. I dont have any exsperiance or seen/heard it before, but on paper i would much rather see one of them in my house.

Phil

http://www.lionstracs.com/index.php?module=Static_Docs&func=view&f=/screenshots.html

http://www.openlabs.com/

Neko is another one, Check it out...

------------------
ViLo
HE'S COMING, MAKE MUSIC, GET READY!

[This message has been edited by ViLo (edited 01-26-2005).]

#107914 - 01/27/05 06:15 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Alex K Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:
Keyboard manufacturers keep making keyboards without listening to the USER's needs...this is a conspiracy!!!

If I had a dime everytime somebody said "I want 76 keys, user friendly, good sounds, and compatibility" I'd be able to afford that Pa1X!

- yeah, but we are also assuming that Tyrs wll keep or improve its polyphony, and not degrade to measly 62 voices, that it will continue perfecting its excellent button-based user interface, rather than switch to a dreaded touch-screen. Those are just two of the reasons that keep me away from the PA1X. I also happen to like Yamaha sounds better, but that's just my opinion - if you are happy with the Korg, more power to you.

#107915 - 01/27/05 06:28 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
The Pro Offline

That's not to mention how many used Yamaha 9000 Pro's you can now buy for the price of a new Korg PA1XPro...

#107916 - 01/27/05 03:01 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Pennywizz6 Offline

There we go, it must have been open labs... I cant beleive the prices, they arent that bad at all! $3,445 (with 15" Color LCD Touchscreen) for the NeKo Le, from 2,595 w/o the optional large touchscreen lcd.

Just myself viewing it on paper compared to the tyros, hands down the Open labs NeKo is better, and cheaper than the quoted price of the tyros.
http://www.openlabs.com/products/product_specs-nekoLE.htm

Phil

#107917 - 01/27/05 11:26 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
can anyone find any demos of the open lab keyboard. It always bothers me when a company gives loads of technical spec but no option to actually hear the keyboard

#107918 - 01/28/05 12:05 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Tom NL Offline

Loc: Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by Pennywizz6:
There we go, it must have been open labs... I cant beleive the prices, they arent that bad at all! $3,445 (with 15" Color LCD Touchscreen) for the NeKo Le, from 2,595 w/o the optional large touchscreen lcd.

Just myself viewing it on paper compared to the tyros, hands down the Open labs NeKo is better, and cheaper than the quoted price of the tyros. Phil

Sure, but that board seems to be a synth and not an arranger.

And... yikes!!!!!! they didn't bother about the esthetics when they 'designed' this thing. I think this is one ugly keyboard....

------------------
Tom NL

#107919 - 01/28/05 04:47 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
The Pro Offline

We've discussed the Open Labs nEko here before. It is essentially a softsynth machine, meaning it will sound like whatever VSTi software synthesizers, samplers and audio processing plug-ins you install in it. It is a Windows PC-based synth and is fully user-customizable to the nth degree, and some have suggested that using software such as OMB that it may be possible to turn a nEko into a very powerful arranger. Since you can make it sound however you like with a nearly infinite combinations of sounds, demos really don't apply in this case.

As to the aesthetics, it's neat that the control modules are interchangeable and you can choose which ones you want. But again, there is only a 61-note version available currently. I don't particularly think this instrument is ugly myself - I've seen worse. And we all had had a sticker-shock reaction when Open Labs first came out with their top models of the nEko, but they've come out with some lower-priced models and since Korg, Yamaha and Roland have increasingly expensive arrangers available or coming, the nEko doesn't look so overpriced anymore. When a 76-note version of the nEko comes out, it'll merit due consideration IMHO.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 01-28-2005).]

#107920 - 01/28/05 04:41 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Pennywizz6 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
can anyone find any demos of the open lab keyboard. It always bothers me when a company gives loads of technical spec but no option to actually hear the keyboard

Right below the buy it button

I think open labs really is the way to go. Its virtually endless on what you can do with it. The price is alot granted, but also very appealing compared to the Tyros, PA80, Triton ect. You dont only get a keyboard, but a full blown computer, incredible.

I think the Open Labs site changed, I see 3 board now, and the Neko Le starts at $2,295 now...

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 01-28-2005).]

#107921 - 01/28/05 06:01 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
My only question on the OpenSynth™ neKo 64 is that it's touted as a 64 bit processor, which it is, running on windows XP which does not support 64 bit processing... I have a 64 bit and have tried to use the XP beta copy which crashes everything in site... So they are saying it's a 64 bit processor but not saying it won't run in 64 bit cause windows does not support it.. I suppose when the beta is done you can upgrade...
DJ

#107922 - 01/28/05 06:04 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Pennywizz6 Offline

Beats me, but Athlon uses 64bit'ers with XP all the time. They dont seem to have an issue with that.

Phil

#107923 - 02/02/05 03:09 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
BlkNotes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
We've discussed the Open Labs nEko here before. It is essentially a softsynth machine, meaning it will sound like whatever VSTi software synthesizers, samplers and audio processing plug-ins you install in it. It is a Windows PC-based synth and is fully user-customizable to the nth degree, and some have suggested that using software such as OMB that it may be possible to turn a nEko into a very powerful arranger. Since you can make it sound however you like with a nearly infinite combinations of sounds, demos really don't apply in this case.

As to the aesthetics, it's neat that the control modules are interchangeable and you can choose which ones you want. But again, there is only a 61-note version available currently. I don't particularly think this instrument is ugly myself - I've seen worse. And we all had had a sticker-shock reaction when Open Labs first came out with their top models of the nEko, but they've come out with some lower-priced models and since Korg, Yamaha and Roland have increasingly expensive arrangers available or coming, the nEko doesn't look so overpriced anymore. When a 76-note version of the nEko comes out, it'll merit due consideration IMHO.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 01-28-2005).]

Dear Pro;

I find your statement about using an expanable keyboard such as the Openlabs and combining it with OMB software to create a very novel& state-of-the-Art arranger very interesting. From reading the OMB information it still is not evident wether one has create from scratch or load styles form other arangers into order to be able to use them in the set up described above. Has anyone tried the OMB ( or similar software) together with a high quality synth or VSTi + midi controller ( i.e. Motif/Alesis/Phantom etc + OMB or similar ) ?? What were the results? I wonder how the ergonomics wouldp would work in a live venue. It is difficult to determine on not having used this product before, wether it would be more ideal for studio/home vs. live performances. Would time be a factor for selecting and load accompaniment styles from the computer/OMB for each song in a set?

AS with other software ( i.e.StyleWorks 2000/ style-convertors) problems occur when converting styles from other keyborads ( i.e. they require modification to sound right after import). I wonder if the same applies when OMB assigns internal voices of a sythn to create the styles. Do they have to be extensively tweaked to sound right. If so this, could be an extensive amount of labor.

Has anyone used the OMB software in any situtation? Please comment on its use as a live auto-accompaniment.

I suppose the benefit of the mediastation X-76 is that it is upgradable as the open labs, but also contains the arranger functions built-in ( and can still be modified + up-load new styles ) without the need for an external computer

Thank-you
Regards;
SCP

#107924 - 02/04/05 03:38 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
Musikman4Christ Offline

Loc: USA
Im using OMB and my Motif ES7. I have found hundreds of styles online for free, but yes, indeed, one has to do tweaking to them to get them to play right. At least on most of them. But some of them work really nice right off the bat. Specially the PSR8000 styles. I found those to have the least problems.

Im using a 19" flat panel display and recording all my audio to cubase SX. But to get a song recorded right away when inspiration strikes, I like OMB. It does the job and since the MOtif ES implements the midi tracks in SONG mode really nicely with out doing any modifications, i can record and worry about changing the sounds to my favority presets or user sounds later. Which by the way, make a huge difference.

Specially once you add the insert effects. What i really love about the ES is that 39 of its preset drumkits, all use the GM sound setup. IN other words, when you use a GM kit, although you use GM it will play back really nice using a standard Kit from the ES. I really love this feature alone and has saved me lots of headaches, which I used to get with my trinity v3.

So for now, Im going to stay with OMB and my Motif ES7.
Ive had my eyes on the neko for a while now and I really like what I see and hear. I think, ultimately, when I do get some cash, im going to be gettinga neko 64 for sure. Guess what arranger its going to be using inside?

One Man Band !!

Rock on guys..

Regards,

Musikman

Musikman
Email:
Musikman4Christ@yahoo.com

#107925 - 02/05/05 10:53 AM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
BlkNotes Offline

Dear MusicMan4Christand Anyone Else who can assist;

Thank-you for your reply. On having read the OMB website ( and not being clear about a couple of issues), I wish to draw apon your experience.

As I understand the OMB and please correct me if I am wrong;

No.1 It has an auto-accompaniement feature, but no styles contained in the software. So what one would have to due is either download or purchase styles?? It seems as if the OMB software is geared towards yamaha styles, but can other companies styles be used as well ie Korg, Ketron, Roland etc..)

No.2 Since synthesizers ( in your instance a motif , neko etc..) don't have an arrangement section ( i.e. no buttons to allocated to various styles, intro, variations, ending) one would have to have a computer connected with a screen, that you would then select the specific styles that you wanted. And wait while it loaded into the keyboard ( does this process take long by the way--worried about use in live shows) After this point it would work just like an arranger?? i.e. play specific chord patterns and the OMB would follow in the particilar key?? Does it have chord memory--ie when you play a chord and let go does the chord still continue until you stop the style or change to another chord. Further, I guess you would assign differnt keys on the synth/Motif to trigger starts/stop/ variations/ endings, Tempo( i guess tempo would have to be assigned to a wheel, or up/down buttons of some sort) ????

So I would say that the main diference in an OMB/synth set-up vs Arranger KB would be that instead of selcting the styles, tempo, intos/variations/endings from the physical buttons on the arranger keyboard, you would select all this information from a computer with screen with OMB loaded on to it

Is this correct????

Is it difficult to set up an OMB/syth option when doing it from scratch ( i.e. no styles ) to the point where its just like and arranger keyboard with respect to the auto-accompaniment???? lets say 2-300 styles ready to go to play live at a gig

I appreciate your help
Regards;
SCP

#107926 - 02/05/05 01:07 PM Re: Internal news about the new Tyros II.
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I just bought the program and it does come with some styles, but you can find hundreds or thousands for free at various sites.
Go back to the web site I think all your questions are answered if you follow all the links.
I think there is a tutorial for converting other styles for use. I haven't done it yet so I can't answer from experience.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online