SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#107202 - 12/30/04 02:31 PM Speakers for G-70?
MatsHawk Offline

Hi.

A Q to all of you who has bought the Roland G-70. What speakers do you use? Does Roland have any special speakers for this model (like Yamaha for Tyros) or do you have some other active speakers?

/Mats

#107203 - 12/31/04 01:35 AM Re: Speakers for G-70?
Tom NL Offline

Loc: Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by MatsHawk:
Hi.

A Q to all of you who has bought the Roland G-70. What speakers do you use? Does Roland have any special speakers for this model (like Yamaha for Tyros) or do you have some other active speakers?

/Mats

Hi Mats and welcome to the Synthzone!

I am also considering the Roland G-70 and was looking around for the best solution for amplification and speakers. Some of the fellow SZ'ers use the Logitech Z-2200 or Z-2300 for this purpose. These are active speakers (so they have build-in amplification). They are in fact computer (desktop) speakers, but offer the best quality in their league. I listened to them in the store, but just wasn't too sure about the midrange, but it was very noisy in that store. By the way, you'll have to consider that the subwoofer is really bulky!

Roland also makes several active speakers. They are designed for this purpose. At my local musicstore they recommended the DM-20's or the DM-2100. They had the G-70 hooked up to a set of very expensive active Tannoy speakers, but tried the DM-2100 for me and an other customer. They were fantastic, and in fact everyone present agreed that they sounded better than the Tannoys. You can fully adjust the sound to your likings, but they have a very accurate reproduction. The high range is sparkling clear and the midrange is also just right. With the separate subwoofer the low range is not a problem. The other good thing, to my opinion, about this set is that it's small so it would look a lot better in your home or studio than those big active speakers normally do.

Here's a link where you can see the G-70 with this set so you can compare the size: http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/acatalog/Roland_G70_Gallery.html

Here's a picture of the DM-2100 set:

------------------
Tom NL

[This message has been edited by Tom NL (edited 12-31-2004).]

#107204 - 12/31/04 10:46 AM Re: Speakers for G-70?
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Does the G70 have an overall EQ adjustment? I find I need to really tone down the bass from my Tyros to the z2200s.

------------------
Graham

#107205 - 12/31/04 01:22 PM Re: Speakers for G-70?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Graham,

You can adjust the bass independently on the 2200s, thereby providing you with lots of options for adjustments on the keboard's internal graphic equalizer. When I was using the 2200s, I rarely set the sub above 50 percent because it became too boomy. A good way to check the EQ is to record a midi file using the keyboard's onboard sequencer, then play it back while you walk around the room and listen the highs, mids and lows coming from the system, then do a bit of tweaking.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#107206 - 12/31/04 01:36 PM Re: Speakers for G-70?
PraiseTheLord Offline

Gary, on minimum bass setting on the 2200s I still find it too boomy, so have to lower the bass setting on the Tyros EQ.

So, I was wondering if the G70 has that capability, since I know the Pa1X does not allow you to adjust the overall EQ.

------------------
Graham

#107207 - 01/01/05 12:52 AM Re: Speakers for G-70?
Tom NL Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
Gary, on minimum bass setting on the 2200s I still find it too boomy, so have to lower the bass setting on the Tyros EQ.

So, I was wondering if the G70 has that capability, since I know the Pa1X does not allow you to adjust the overall EQ.

Hi Graham,

According to the (online) manual, the G-70 has a tri-band EQ with addidional parameter settings like EQ-level, EQ-gain, Hi-freq, Hi-gain, Mid-freq etc...

By the way, I thought (and the others present in the shop) that the Roland speakerset wasn't boomy at all. They must have a very flat frequency response.
The bass is not dominant and can be fully adjusted, like on the Logitech's. But you can also adjust the treble on the set itself. With both settings on about 50% (neutral), the sound was very nice and detailed and thus better that the Tannoy studio monitors we heared a few minutes earlier.

Regards,

------------------
Tom NL

#107208 - 01/01/05 06:18 AM Re: Speakers for G-70?
PraiseTheLord Offline

That's good to know. I guess the DM2100s would be for studio monitoring only though.

On the Korg irishacts website, one of the Korg experts recommended the Behringer Truths for the Pa1X, again for home studio use. Have you tried them?

------------------
Graham

[This message has been edited by PraiseTheLord (edited 01-01-2005).]

#107209 - 01/01/05 06:45 AM Re: Speakers for G-70?
Tom NL Offline

No, I haven't tried those Behringers. I just looked for some information on them on the net. With 150 watts for bass and 75 watts for highrage they are a lot more powerfull. But they are also a lot bigger. I am not shure if you need them to play outdoors, but if so I think these speakers are not suitable for that. But with the specs they have I expect them to be very good in a studio or musicroom.

I understand that you have the tyros with the Logitech's Z-2200, but are not too happy about the combination?
Well, I didn't know much about amplification or active speakers but just went to two music stores and learned a lot. They can show you what they have hooked up to a keyboard and you can judge for yourself if it is to your linkings. I hope you can find the ideal set for your needs.

------------------
Tom NL

[This message has been edited by Tom NL (edited 01-01-2005).]

#107210 - 01/01/05 09:15 AM Re: Speakers for G-70?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Mats
Can't speak of the G70,but I have a Z2200 hooked up to a KN7000 and found the sub a little heavy for some types of music. Rather than fool with the KB EQ, I bought a Ranes parametric EQ on Ebay for $75. It works like a charm. If put in shelf mode, I can instantly cut/boost lows or highs.

Just a thought.

Bernie

#107211 - 01/01/05 02:29 PM Re: Speakers for G-70?
MatsHawk Offline

Thanks for all your answers. If i get to buy the board, maybe i can use my Altec Lansing ADA885 THX-certified computerspeakers. They sound very good.
Here's a picture:

The powerspecs: Subwoofer 60W, Satellite 4*15W. Total 120W.
Freq: 27Hz to 20kHz

/Mats

[This message has been edited by MatsHawk (edited 01-01-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online