SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#106754 - 08/29/01 11:10 AM synth: a gear for pro's???
merlin2812 Offline

Hi everyone!!

In my mind, synth has always been for a "pro " use, and arranger for a "home" use. I know that it is far, very far from the truth. So here comes my question. If synths are considered more for the 'pro', is it because they are harder to use??? I still don't understand the features of synths, but whatever...

friendly,

Merlin

#106755 - 08/29/01 11:41 AM Re: synth: a gear for pro's???
drubstar Offline

Loc: USA
merlin

A synth is a board with extensive sound editing features.Examples: Triton,Trinity,Karma,Roland XV line.They usually have a sequencer except the XV.You can arrange songs by recording sequences and then chaining them together for the final product.This is the way I did it for years until arrangers came along.Once you record your style you can use the poweful realtime chord accompaniment to audition chord changes on the fly giving you endless musical possibilities.You can't do that with synths and so you lose that spontaneity in writing.In addition the sound quality IMHO is equal to pro synths for the high end arrangers.In some the sound editing os pretty deep.So,IMHO, arrangers offer you more possibilities and may take a little longer to master.I hope this helps.

#106756 - 08/29/01 12:19 PM Re: synth: a gear for pro's???
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
I think that the trend is toward a fusion between synths and arrangers; of course an arranger with all the editing possibilities of a synth would be way too complicated and expensive, but if an arranger like the Roland VA7 offers the same sounds as the XV series and some basic editing too, then the need for the editing possibilites offered by a synth is really questionable, unless you are mainly a studio musician.
The same thing goes for the Yamaha PSR 9000 and the new Motif: in this case it was the Motif to borrow some of the 9000's sounds!

Regards,
Andrea

#106757 - 08/29/01 12:53 PM Re: synth: a gear for pro's???
merlin2812 Offline

Thanks for your answer! So, If I can understand what the Psr9kpro offeres that the Motif does not, I don't see the opposite! What can the Motif offer to us that the psr 9kpro does not???? I first tough that it was all about sound quality. Seems not. Now, you all talk about editing feature... What are those editing features? Maybe they help you to change a sound??? Is that it? I understand the sequencer of the Motif is a way better than the psr9k. Ok. But then, other will say that it is still nothing compared to a computer sequencer... Personnaly, what seduce me about the Motif is the 88 keys, the hammer action, and the great sound. But I beleave it's not enough to spend so much money on it!!! What do you think?

Merlin

#106758 - 08/29/01 01:05 PM Re: synth: a gear for pro's???
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
my view is that Synthesizers are pro. because you can make your own sounds "anyway" you want it.you can add effects and double it and put some filters on it and you can even now sample with high more sophisticated ways on Synthesizers.some of the arranger keyboard offer sampling and effects too but not as pro. as the Synthesizers.but they(arranger keyboards) give you a feeling of you are doing what a band can do.

that's how I think of it.Synthesizers for creating new sounds and arrangers for back ground(styles) for known(common) sounds.

------------------
vic:)

#106759 - 08/29/01 01:11 PM Re: synth: a gear for pro's???
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hi Merlin,
yes "editing" means that you can change a sound at will (filters, envelopes, etc).
The Motif offers, over the 9000, a much more sophisticated sampling option, a larger number of waveforms, maybe better effects (but I am not sure about this one) and things like a SCSI connection (to hook up external hard disks or CD-ROM units).
If you are mainly into playing live and don't want to worry about editing, buy an arranger; otherwise, if you are more a studio guy and like to tweak sounds or effects, then buy a synth or a sampler. For extensive users' reviews of both these units you can visit the site http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/
here you will find all the synths listed in alphabetical order.
Regards,
Andrea

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 08-29-2001).]

#106760 - 08/29/01 02:04 PM Re: synth: a gear for pro's???
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"Pro" means you make money using it. I've personally made hundreds of dollars in the music business over the years using arrangers.
Seriously, I've had a guy in my living room all day trying to show me how great his 10-year-old synth is. My old PSR8000 was set up right beside it and everything he did I could do faster and better. Plus much more because of the styles. It blew him away.
The fact is, this seasoned pro had no idea that the arrangers can do what they do. He really didn't even know they exist.
I think in the states it is simply a matter of educating the "pros" as to the possibilities of the arrangers.
In Europe this process is much farther along, thus more dealers offer them and more sales are made. It feeds on itself.
We must stomp out ARRANGER IGNORANCE. . .
DonM

#106761 - 08/29/01 08:04 PM Re: synth: a gear for pro's???
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Also please keep in mind that Manufacturers more commonly share the same sound engine from the "workstation" or " pro" keyboard .
The korg pa80 = Triton sound engine
Yamaha Motif = sounds from 9000pro and past Yamaha synths (ex5,ex7 )
Yamaha PSR550 has all the same sounds as the Yamaha S03 synth keyboard .
Roland using XV series sounds with the VA series . DanO

#106762 - 08/29/01 09:08 PM Re: synth: a gear for pro's???
MR Bulk Offline

Loc: Mililani, Hawaii, USA
"We must stomp out ARRANGER IGNORANCE..."
Ha, ha! I like that phrase. Just got off the phone this afternoon with George Kaye (ordered a PSR-2000) and he made me realize that one of the reasons, other than cultural differences between us and Europe, for the gap in a/kb sales is that too many a/kbs are being sold by people who know nothing about them (either chain-type WallyWorld stores or the "traditional" music store), hence they will rather steer a customer to a synth or regular digital piano rather than demo something they cannot manipulate well.

Certainly food for thought...

------------------
Regards and Aloha,

Charlie

Charlie
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/MR_Bulk/index-1.html

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online