SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#105633 - 07/16/01 06:44 AM SD-1 vs 9000Pro vs PA-80 with midi files
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I posted before about this and I probably didn't have a headline grabbing post, but;

I use a VA-7 and the GM SMF playback is great, a little hard to pull-up the next song, not as easy as the EM-2000.

Which one of the new keyboards that I listed, would be the best for SMF playback of equal or better of the VA-7?

Possibly the ability to play a midifile while searching for the next?

I've heard that the 9000Pro has these abilitites but people say the XG soundset is poor compared to others.

The PA-80 has the dual sequencers which I assume will allow he same type of play and search that the EM-2000/G-1000 can do. I don't know if the PA-80 uses a subset GM or what but I don't know how it compares to the VA-7 gm sounds.

The SD-1 doesn't seem to state about the GM level or the ability to playback GS type sequences, which seem to be the most popular.

I know this sounds like a stupid questions but sometimes when you hear different opions it helps,

Thanks

#105634 - 07/16/01 07:28 AM Re: SD-1 vs 9000Pro vs PA-80 with midi files
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Frank,
All of the models you mentioned allow you to search during playback. The Korg sequencer worked without a hitch after the upgrades, the Yamaha also works just fine. Your VA7 can search too - when the screen is back to normal it is a snap to search for a new tune. Of all them - the Ketron kb's may be the best playback because they use their best sounds as their GM soundset. This makes for more relistic sequences. I have no complaints about the way the Yamaha sounds during playback, and the Korg was fine too. Roland has an edge in chord sounds but is very weak in solo sounds (GM set)Try an X1 or SD1 if you can before you decide. Then you'll see what I mean. If midi files are very important to you - you should be tweaking and rerecording like crazy anyway. Don't go with stock arrangements if it's your main thing. Personalize it, and make it shimmer! They can ALL sound good with a little HUMAN element added.

#105635 - 07/16/01 07:43 AM Re: SD-1 vs 9000Pro vs PA-80 with midi files
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Frank,
The Solton system for searching while hearing a song and having it able to be played immediately after the current song or even stopping the current song and going right to the new song is in my opinion the best. There is also the ability to see lyrics on the top half of the screen while scrolling through the list of songs available on the bottom half of the screen.
Also, Uncle Dave and I agree that the Solton sounds are the best for playing back songs using the GM (GS) sound set. Solton has put their best foot foward on using GM sounds as their panel sounds rather than Yamaha and Korg putting the GM sounds as a different bank and their best sounds as the panel sounds.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#105636 - 07/16/01 08:03 AM Re: SD-1 vs 9000Pro vs PA-80 with midi files
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
The VA-7 seems to play the sequences pretty good, with their soundset. I've played a PSR8000 and thought the operating system was the best to work with.

The Korg stuff I used was the i3 and I thought the styles were great but the sounds as solo where alittle weak. The SMF playback of gm stuff was weak also.

I've played the x1 thought it was ok, a little noisey, I think it was easier to search for the holy grail than it was to navigate through it, but its probably because I used to other op systems.

Basically living in CT I'm very close to alot of places that have each keyboard alone, but no one has them together.

It seems like everyone is leaning towards the SD-1, Uncle Dave has a great suggestions about personalizing sequences, but the rate I change my keyboards, I would go crazy every year.

I'm more into the technology rather than the learning the complete keyboard and getting the most out of it. But that is just my human nature.

Anyone know where I could try a SD-1 in CT????

#105637 - 07/16/01 10:03 AM Re: SD-1 vs 9000Pro vs PA-80 with midi files
Henry01 Offline

Loc: Dublin, California, USA
The Ketron X1 and SD1 sound great playing back MIDI/SMF files. Both keyboards come with built-in hard drive, so loading of MIDI file takes a fraction of a second. There is no waiting...

The SD1 has a new 'Demo & Hits' feature where you can copy all your most used MIDI files into a special folder named 'DEMO&HIT'. When you press the DEMO&HIT button on the keyboard, all these files are listed on the screen (10 per page) and you just need to press a select key to start playing the selected song. It's very easy for playing back MIDI files.

Henry

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online