SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#104532 - 05/08/06 06:20 PM OT - Heartburn/Acid Reflux
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Five days ago I had what first appeared to be a benign bout of heartburn that turned out to be 2 trips to the hospital ER within 24 hours and an Upper GI Endoscopy procedure on Friday. It revealed a few stomach ulcers and a whole bunch of esophagus ulcers. Strange, don't know how they could have come up from "nowhere", neither does the doctor... no previous problems.

Just wondered if anyone has had anything similar. Had to cancel 2 gigs but back on the road tomorrow. Don't know how that'll work out but we'll find out. Still hurts like hell to swollow, but getting better (I hope).

Glenn

#104533 - 05/08/06 06:54 PM Re: OT - Heartburn/Acid Reflux
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Whoa...sorry to hear this Glenn.

You are too easy going and carefree...not to mention, young, to be experiencing ulcers.

Take care of yourself, buddy.

Eddie

#104534 - 05/08/06 07:09 PM Re: OT - Heartburn/Acid Reflux
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Since you mentioned this - I just had a hellish experience with acid reflux. It's been a mild nuisance for some time but never serious and nothing that Tums couldn't handle. I had my annual physical just last month that I passed easily. Without warning I vomited stomach acid in my sleep and inhaled it last Friday at 1am, choking me and scaring me badly. I had to be rushed to the ER for a breathing treatment and X-rays. Fortunately pneumonia didn't set in but my esophagus, vocal cords and lungs were burned and I've been passing blood every since. Went to my doctor today and my BP is low and it looks like I'm anemic - waiting for confirmation. Probably have to have some upper GI endoscopic work soon... supposed to find out more tomorrow. I'm now on Protonix to reduce stomach acid production. I'm told this affects white males the most and no one knows why.

[This message has been edited by Esh (edited 05-08-2006).]

#104535 - 05/08/06 07:32 PM Re: OT - Heartburn/Acid Reflux
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
1986 I started having heartburn symptoms..I put up with it for 12 years...eating Tums like they were candy..Night time was a nightmare...I finally let my doctor know...I was diagnosed with acid reflux with some damage to the esophagus..He prescribed Prevacid..from the very first pill till today it helped 100%..I eat all and anything I want..On a side note..I reorder my meds from a mail order company..They had a paper error and delayed my script...As I am typing now I am having re occurrences of this problem[I have been without pills for the last 3 days]..It reminds me what a blessing Prevacid is..

#104536 - 05/08/06 09:16 PM Re: OT - Heartburn/Acid Reflux
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
I had trouble with heartburn and reflux for years until I discovered I was alergic to chlorine in the tap water.
We now filter the chlorine out and I have little or no trouble.

Cousin Ken

#104537 - 05/08/06 09:25 PM Re: OT - Heartburn/Acid Reflux
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Glenn: Really sorry to hear you're suffering from ulcers. I read somewhere that cabbage juice is supposed to be good for treating it. It contains glutamine, which is the major fuel for cells in the digestive track and can help repair the lining. Of course check with your doctor first to confirm if this is true or not. Hope you're feeling better real soon. - Scott

#104538 - 05/09/06 06:16 PM Re: OT - Heartburn/Acid Reflux
cajun100 Offline

Loc: Mill Valley, CA USA
Eliminating alcohol (wine especially!) can help along with the other things mentioned here. I was unable to control mine until I stopped all consumption for some weeks.
This can actually become quite serious -- do not disregard early symptoms.

#104539 - 05/09/06 06:28 PM Re: OT - Heartburn/Acid Reflux
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Well I've learned alot about this stuff in the last 48 hours.

Jim, if you're having those kind of symptoms at night while in bed, even if one episode, but a serious one, raise the head of your bed 4-6". Another fix, tho not as good (you might slide down), is to use a wedge at the head of your bed. I've seen this referenced and a friend of mine has had success with it.

Fran, yes, Tums can help, but it only temporarily masks the symptoms, that's all. While the Prevacid is much better, especially since it works for you, it also does not address the underlying problem, which in most cases is a bodily "condition" known as acidosis (body is too acid), which has several long-range damaging effects of the body. One's pH can be easily tested with pH test strips... urine and/or saliva. Mine are on the way.

Change in diet can make the body less acid, more alkaline. But it means cutting way back on all the good stuff... all meat, sweets, pasta...and taking in more vegtables and fruit, especially the veggies, and not fried or creamed!

Caragaba, how in the world did you learn that you were allergic to chlorine? You're lucky.

Scott, you're right on with cabbage and cabbage juice. It's my staple meal item this week. This thing better fix soon... BBQ Rib Burn-off season starts around here in just a few weeks.

Thanks guys,

Glenn

#104540 - 05/09/06 08:19 PM Re: OT - Heartburn/Acid Reflux
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I started having symptoms about a year ago (age 55) and I take a Zantac when I start belching and having what feels like heartburn. For me, I usually get to feeling this way when I eat spicy foods or eat too much or too fast. It's hell getting older! but I do feel good knowing many of you are suffering with the same symptoms. I hope we all get better!
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#104541 - 05/09/06 10:18 PM Re: OT - Heartburn/Acid Reflux
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Glen process of elimination.
I used to blame the local beer (when I drank].
At times my skin reacts to the clorine in the swiming pool [itching].

Cousin Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online