SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#102308 - 02/28/00 01:25 PM Noisy X1
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I used my X1 on a gig this weekend and a high pitched continuous noise came out of my amp all night. It was a sort of a whine that was controlable with the master volume control of the X1. Master volume off, no whine, master volume on, high pitched whine. From my organ repair days I would call this sound clock noise. I recall another post from way back that said the X1 was noisy at rest. Any suggestions out there? Who repairs these things? DonM bought it new I think in October. Is there any warranty on it now?
Thanks,

Tom Cavanaugh

Tom

#102309 - 02/28/00 03:11 PM Re: Noisy X1
Dicky S Offline

Loc: Norwich, UK
Hi Tom,
I have had a similar problem with the sound card on a laptop PC. Can you hear any trace of the whine on the X1's own speakers, or in headphones at full volume? If not, you may be able to get rid of the problem with some sort of isolating transformer between the X1 and the amp so they don't share the same ground.
Cheers,
Dicky S.

#102310 - 02/28/00 05:43 PM Re: Noisy X1
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tom, I have noticed that the X1 causes interference more than my G1000 or XP80, So I guess it could have a problem with grounding. The isolator is a good idea,I use one on the job, and come to think of it , I don't recall the interference at work...Fran

#102311 - 02/29/00 08:34 AM Re: Noisy X1
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Tom,
I used the X1 with 3 different p.a. systems just about every night and never had a noise. It was extremely quiet. Be sure everything is grounded the same and preferably plugged into the same a.c. outlet. Often, the outlets at different buildings are incorrectly wired or not grounded. That will usually cause a hum or buzz. And you might want to try different cables between the line outs and amp. Older cables can start picking up noise over time.
With the Yamaha PSR8000 I experienced noise when the midi cable was hooked to certain devices. I ever did get it completely out, despite changing cables, outlets etc.
Also, you might try using the X1 with a different amp to see if perhaps the problem is in the amp.
If it does need work, I will help see if the warranty will cover it.
Don

#102312 - 02/29/00 04:15 PM Re: Noisy X1
DonM Offline

Tom,
I've tried twice to answer your email, but it keeps coming back. Have you changed addresses?
Don

#102313 - 02/29/00 05:24 PM Re: Noisy X1
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Don,
The college is updating their system. My email should be back up and running on wednesday. The noise that I was hearing was controlable from the X1's master volume control. I spent 10 years repairing organs and amps and it wasn't a bad ground type of sound. A bad cable or a bad ground would hum all the time regardless of the master volume on the X1. This wasn't a hum. I need to do some further checking at home. Maybe it was some piece of equipment in the building. Talk to you later.

Tom

Tom

#102314 - 02/29/00 06:09 PM Re: Noisy X1
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Don,
The college is updating their system. It should be up and running again on wednesday. The noise was not a bad ground type of hum. I had all equipment plugged into the same outlet using a surge protector. I could make the noise go away by turning down the master volume. Normally that won't make a bad ground hum go away. Maybe the X1 was acting as an antenna and picking up the ice maker or something. I'll check further.

You tipped Uncle Dave so he wouldn't bite didn't you?

Later

Tom

Tom

#102315 - 03/01/00 12:38 AM Re: Noisy X1
DonM Offline

Uncle Dave is probably like me, waiting until the discussion returns to keyboards rather than computer software.
I'm surprised he didn't pounce on your 740/X1 comments though! He may be contemplating a PSR9000? Come on Dave, we miss your rapier-sharp wit.
Tom, regarding the songs you want to learn, you can download MP3's of them and save $$$.
Don

#102316 - 03/01/00 07:31 AM Re: Noisy X1
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

I think Uncle Dave hit the nail on the head. It does sound like the hard drive spinning except that it does go to the outputs. When you amplify it to club level it is very noticable and annoying. It is not a problem while you are playing but between songs I had to turn the master volume down to minimum to get rid of it. Any suggestions? Glad to see you're still lurking in the weeds Uncle Dave.
Tom

Tom

#102317 - 03/01/00 08:57 AM Re: Noisy X1
DonM Offline

I would love to come to Philly. Has the snow melted yet? I have to decide every morning whether to play golf or go fishing.
I hope you and everybody else can come to Nashville for the NAMM show. I will be there. My wife has already checked on plane tickets. $99 round trip! But I would prefer to drive since it's not really that far.
I still have to check out the SK760, but don't really expect to like it. Then I will investigate the 9000. I am really enjoying the light weight of the 740. If it had a hard drive and a little better mic preamp I could live with it. I will use it until something blows me away.
Send me the MD! My MD recorder is not working, but I will get it repaired this week. I do have a player though.
Don

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online