SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#100970 - 01/08/04 09:47 PM kn 7k in the hands of Uncle Davie
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I had a great time at work with the 7k tonight. I had a drummer, so the arranger never got turned on. Just bass, chords (mostly Piano, Rhodes and Organ) and vocals form me. Drums and vocals from my partner in crime.

Let me summarize the night:

1) Key feel was joy
2) sounds were perfect
3) volume (monitor speakers) was great
4) versitility was superb
(remember ..... no auto stuff)

There were a few bugs that Yamaha and Korg did that are now a thing of the past.

First - the transpose and tempo buttons are dedicated, and require only a single push to activate them. Yamaha needs 2 for transpose and 2 if you want to use the data wheel for tempo.
Second - sounds did not cut off when switched from one bank to another. The transitions are smoother and seemless on the kn.
Third - the bass is stronger, more exciting and routable to separate outs. Very cool.
Fourth - the height of the flip up lid was not as bad as I first thought. My laptop was about 2 inched higher than it used to be. I might be able to live with that. We'll see how it looks in pictures from the crowd view.

Now - some down sides:

The sequence/MP3 playback is still a little cryptic compared to the big three (Y, R & K). It's difficult to search quickly, and impossible to jump between audio and midi screens during playback. (Unless I missed a trick)

Tomorrow night, I will give the arranger and drums a test ride. I'm a soloist again, and this will be a good test.

I have to admit - as far a s a "live" instrument ..... this did a bang up job tonight. I was very pleased. Now, we'll see how the auto guys stack up. Hmmmmmm........

#100971 - 01/09/04 01:48 PM Re: kn 7k in the hands of Uncle Davie
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Uncle Dave...

GREAT to hear that there are players out there who don't take the easy way out. I certainly don't knock arrangers and players who use them, but playing left-handed bass, especially like "Groove" Holmes or Jimmy Smith is a dissapearing art and a joy to listen to. Developing the ability to play left-handed bass opens up all sorts of avenues, in terms of performance variations.

Of course, I'm thinking, for you and I, playing B3-type left-handed bass and pedals
is the way it was done, back in the "dark ages".

Way to go!

Russ

#100972 - 01/09/04 02:10 PM Re: kn 7k in the hands of Uncle Davie
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I used to do it do, but in the words of the late Waylon Jennings and The Old Dogs, "I Don't Do It No More." I let the keyboard do the left hand, I take care of the right.
Different strokes for different folks.
DonM www.donmasonmusic.com

#100973 - 01/09/04 02:27 PM Re: kn 7k in the hands of Uncle Davie
Dnj Offline

Like I always say I dont care how ya do it....

"What Does it Sound Like"?

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#100974 - 01/09/04 03:00 PM Re: kn 7k in the hands of Uncle Davie
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
...you always say that.

#100975 - 01/09/04 03:40 PM Re: kn 7k in the hands of Uncle Davie
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yep, he always sez that...

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#100976 - 01/09/04 04:08 PM Re: kn 7k in the hands of Uncle Davie
Dnj Offline

Yep.....
I always just close my eyes & lets HEAR whatcha got!!!!

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#100977 - 01/09/04 07:40 PM Re: kn 7k in the hands of Uncle Davie
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You always say that too.
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online