I've been putting this off for a very long time. I know there was another thread on this very same issue, but I wanted some specific opinions.

Over the next year or so, I think I'm going to sell my Roland VS840 and move to the PC platform for recording. Unlike most, I'm not looking to upgrade everytime something new comes out. I want to get my PC, install all the recording software/hardware I need and then stick with that - For a long time.

It seems to me that the XP vs. 98SE/ME issue is a serious one. Say I was to move over the the PC platform. You guys would recommend buying a new PC from the store rather than me building one myself right (as I have in the past). You guys would probably tell me to run out and buy the latest and greatest software.

While I've used Cubase and Pro-Tools in other studios (such as my schools) and have experience on both, I'm curious to know what you all think is the best recording program out there. I think I'd probably lean towaords Digidesigns Digi 001 since it seems like an all-in-one streamlined, meant to work well system (complete with it's own hardware).

Should I pop for an FX card, so my effects don't use CPU power?

If there is another thread on this, provide the link as I know how much we hate repeating things here.

My setup right now is this:

Roland XP60
Roland S760 Sampler
Roland VS840 Hard Disk.

I'd like it to look like:

Digidesign Digi 001
Roland XV5080 Synth/Sample Reader
Roland A70 Midi Controller
Roland VM3100 Pro Digital Mixer

I have a PII350 64MB which is probably inadequate for most things right now. Again, this is a future purchase. I graduate at the end of the year and then (after paying school loans off) can think about saving up for a machine.

I'd probably end up making the purchase next spring (when PCs would probably be running at 4gHz).

Thanks - The Infamous Epu.