Seems to have been a long long time since I've seen anything from Alec - hope your'e still there and working on the "extended Manual" for the 7000. In the meantime, to coax you back out in the open I've got a query which has been puzzling me for some time and it goes like this.
While I can accept the concept of recording and playing back variable sound, i.e music, from a moving object such as a vinyl or cd disk, magnetic wire (gosh that's old hat) or magnetic tape I just can't get my head around the idea of recording and playback from an inanimate object, for instance, press the demo button on my 7000 and get incredibly realistic playback of music.
Reminds me a bit of when I was being trained as a Wireless Operator/mechanic in the RAF many many moons ago when we were told that electricity always flowed from positive to negative. A few weeks later we were told that in in certain circumstances (I think in the case of thermionic valves) it flowed from negative to positive, and that I couldn't accept - just like being told that in some instances water could flow up hill.

Anyhow, can Alec (or anyone) explain how music can be stored and played back from this "inanimate object?"

Ogre