A few weeks ago I asked, on the forum, if the KN7000 supported long file names. I got an unequivocal answer that it certainly did and that 16 characters could be used. There were no caveats or exceptions noted by a source that I highly respect. That made a lot of sense in today’s technology and from that, I assumed that you could load files with long file names directly into the KN7000. This is what I have found.

If you are loading from or saving to a floppy you are limited to the antique 6 character name that we all have had to live with for so many years. Nothing has changed in that regard.

If you drag and drop files from a computer to the keyboard with the Song Manager you are also limited to the old 6 character limit for file names.

If you are saving a custom style to the SD card you are limited to 8 characters. I forgot to check this with a floppy but think it is the same.

If you are working with files that are already in the KN7000 SD card, you can rename them with names up to 16 characters. Backup and restore files include support for the 16 character names. I couldn’t find a way to load a new file into the SD card with more than 6 characters with the software provided by Technics for this purpose.

There are ways to get around some of these limitations as Alec has mentioned with an editor, but that process should only be tried by people with technical skills not normally found in most of the forum members.

I felt that these things should be on the forum because some of you may have been inadequately informed, as was I.

Keeping in mind that my mind doesn't work nearly as well as it did back when I was in my 60's and that I have only had the KN7000 for a few days, I hope that Alec or someone with appropriate knowledge will let forum members know if any of the above items are incorrect.