Just random thoughts on the subject:

Whenever I get a new kb I set up a generic rhythm/style bank of the most used beats that I need. The idea came from a Roland Card that is about 30 yrs old for the E series. I think Fran still has one .... it was called EZ-8.
To be fair, I play a great deal more than these 8 beats, but as a generic, quick start for a myriad of requests, they are a great stating point. Maybe they'll be of some help to some of you, as well.
(This is based on a setlist for US audiences ... because that's what I know) smile

1) 8 beat - standard 4/4 good for ballads, and light rock
2) 16 beat - adds that R&B feel to a straight 4/4 - works great for ballads
3) Shuffle - ala Kansas City/Gigolo style
4) Swing - 4/4 not too busy, not too syncopated - good for standards
5) ChaCha - A must for ballroom dancers (or use a good rock 4/4 with added perc)
6) Rock/Disco - solid 4 on the floor, and simple backbeats
7) 12/8 ballad - All those 50s songs, and many more
8) 3/4 - Who doesn't love a waltz?

Now, in a perfect world, like I said - you'll need many more, but this will get you there a lot of the time. But - there's lots missing, right? Soooo ....
Here's an expanded EZ-16 that's even more versatile:

1) 8 beat (always on my mind)
2) 16 beat (lady in red)
3) bossa (jobim)
4) chacha (save the last dance)
5) swing (fly me 2 moon)
6) bid band swing (in the mood)
7) Shuffle (just a gigolo)
8) rock shuffle (some kind of wonderful)
9) rock/country-rock (Lyin' eyes)
10) disco (I will survive)
11) 12/8 ballad (crazy, only you)
12) 2/4 polka/bluegrass/hora (duh...)
13) 3/4 waltz (can I have this dance)
14) 3/4 jazz waltz, (Christmas waltz)
15) 5/4 if you're a real jazzer (take 5)
16) 6/4 (Piano Man)

** I prefer use 12/8 (feels like 4/4 but with 8th note triplets on each beat)
rather than 6/8 so I can tap a 4 beat tempo and it will start. In 6/8 I'd have to tap 6 beats, and it will not line up the 1/4 notes in case I switch beats during the song.
This way a locked tempo will be consistent between a straight 8 beat and a 12/8 ballad.

It goes without saying that around the globe this will change for your location, but here in the Western world, I can play a whole night with a simple piano/bass sound and these 16 drum beats. Anything else I add ... is icing on the cake.
(time to go make the donuts)