I guess that would be of a bad taste if I mentioned some recent episodes of South Park here :-)

I think we still have to acknowledge that people need to see most of things as simple, even if they know that it is more complicated inside. It's a sort of a practical ignorance, which helps to see the world as a simple thing.

Certainly the more we know the more we have to change. It's usually hard for parents and children to understand each other as they have to deal with different challenges.

In Russia there's still a lot of homophobia, but we know that even UK had some laws against homosexuality quite recently, so these changes take time. The reason I mention it is that some polls say that younger people show more tolerance and more openminded, while older people, raised in Soviet culture, have more prejudices and objections towards this subject. Not to mention such regions of Caucasus as Chechnya, where gay people are illegally persecuted by authorities.

Perhaps, that would be of a bad taste either to declare that I'm not a gay person myself, but I just want to articulate that it disturbs me even if it doesn't affect me directly.

The problem is that the scientific data, which is usually an unbiased truth is usually not enough for people to change their views; sometimes people choose to live their lifes with a certain picture of the world where everything is as it should be. And if we want to leave in peace we should somehow find a compromise between biases and the truth, as, after all, we still have to live together.