I was born to be on stage. I'm much more comfortable with strangers than I'd like to be, and when I'm in front of a large group, I see the entire gathering as one entity. I become more alive when I am in front of an audience, and in my heart, I believe that I truly have something that they want ... so I'm happy to share it with them. Being on stage is like an extension of my home, my office, my favorite chair, my happy place ... everything seems right with the world when I'm at the helm.

This doesn't mean that I don't get the occasional jitters. Preparation, and "fit" are key elements to my level of jitter vs. comfort. I sang the nation anthem for a Phillies/Mets game in 1984, and I went into training for weeks before. I modified my diet, cut out all foods that gave me phlegm, or made me feel bloated, started walking a few miles each day, so I was physically ready to project my voice the way I wanted to. Mentally, it was more of a challenge, because of the (almost) 2 second delay from the speakers to the pitcher's mound - that was one of the hardest things I've had to deal with as a vocalist.
With all that prep, and confidence - it was still 35,000 people - my Dad's entire branch of the company (Ford), and dozens of friends who were either at the game, or watching at home ... a little terrifying, to say the least. Still, I was ready, and that mound was exactly where I belonged, at that exact moment in time, so I sang my heart out, and was very proud to do so. It's one of my biggest thrills to this day.

The point of this story is not to brag, but rather, to say that even though that performance was for an audience of thousands, if was no more daunting, or important than some intimate coffee houses, or house parties I've played for 5-10 people. The stage is my home, and the audience is like my family. I'm happiest doing what I've been trained to do, whenever a willing crowd is listening. I believe that music should be shared, and I prefer face to face. Studio projects are fun, but they lack the audience interaction. Give me warm bodies, anyday! The expression of ones art is a personal thing, for sure, but I'll end with a quote from Victor Hugo: "...music expresses that which cannot be put into words, and that which cannot remain silent"
That sums it all up for me!