I would love to know what Yamahas R& D Department were thinking. These are the same people that did some form of research and came up with a product called "reface" which had mini keys and could be bought as a collection of four mini key synths to get the full range. Who did they have in mind for this project? Munchkins?

And now we have this new product called montage. Who is it aimed at? All the demos so far that I have listened to did not blow me away either in terms of the realism of the sounds or the creativity to make the sounds. It seems the product is designed to compete with Roland Jupiter 80 performance synthesiser.

How many musicians do you know that own the Roland Jupiter 80? ......

This synthesiser is geared towards tweak head synth purists. This has to be a niche market and won't have any mass appeal. For the most part, the demos simply show off the motion sound features of this instrument. But that seems to me to consist of an old man simply holding a chord , jigging and manically bobbing his head to a paper thin beat and letting the sound change and morph for the next five minutes and faking he likes what he hears . Even the great Yamaha champion Berts demo looked like he genuinely did not know what the products main features were supposed to bring to the party musically . And he is the best Yamaha salesman out there .

Not really demos geared at musicians I know . But then I am in my mid forties . I don't play that kind of music.

I have been on the Yamaha motif forum and the musicians forum and the general feeling is what is this keyboard meant to be ?It is a performance synth with 16 tracks that can't be edited much in anyway on the machine . It has no sampler .

And it sounds ok regardless as to what synth engine is used . I am just scratching my head on this one .