Okay, so maybe I wasn't asking the right sorts of questions?

I seem to be having or have had a technological meltdown, because there is so much out there, how does one decide what to get? I hate to admit this but, I am a bit of a technological klutz, (too put it mildly). I mean don't get me wrong, I can figure some stuff out, but not everything. Good grief, I couldn't even hook up MIDI properly, and I thought I knew what I was doing. Guess not, took someone like you to tell me that. Thanks! However there are some things that I can figure out, because they come naturally for me. For example: I can connect two TV's to one VCR or DVD player, and set up a computer. Though I may not understand how everything works, software wise. I can usually do stuff if I have instructions/directions or a diagram to follow. I'm a visual learner rather then an audio learner.

Okay so I was going into this thing blindly, with no clear direction or goal in mind. You are absolutely right I have absolutely no idea of what it is I want to do? I don't even have a specific style of music to play. What I do now is this. I like the idea of having a knob to grab and twist to mangle sounds. That's one of the reasons why I love the Minimoog. However, I also happen to like Triton le, because of it's arrp. What I mean is that, when you call up a particular sound that has a sequence loop, and you play a note or chord on the lower half of the keyboard, the loop plays automatically, until you lift your hands off the keyboard. I really love hardware synths because your are playing with something physically. Of course there is also something to be said for Software based synths as well. Infinite possibilities there.

I do have various tastes in music, form classical, to rock, pop, jazz, and electronic, new age/world and experimental. I'm not saying, I want to play all of these styles, it's just the ones that interest me. I spent many years taking piano lessons in the classical style. BOOORRRREEEEEIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!!!!!!! Plus there are too many rules. That's probably why there are so few young classically trained musicians. I took enough piano to read a keyboard, and with some luck sheet music, but don't plop a piece of music in front of me and expect me to play. I don’t work that way.