Just curious, James, but where do YOU draw the line on cables? Is there a level below where you won't go? And is there someone, somewhere trying to tell you that they can't tell the difference between what YOU chose and those that are cheaper?

Look, we have got all turned around. I also agree that 'audiophile', super high end, super expensive cables are a load of marketing codswallop. Then again, I don't see the point of a 200mph supercar in a country with a 70mph speed limit either! I payed little more for my two pair of Monster Cables than any other equivalent (they were on sale) and they have worked flawlessly ever since. I wouldn't have bought them at full price, but I buy very little at full price, anyway!

I'm sorry that this is turning into an argument. I believe we feel similarly in many ways. Audiophile cables ARE a ripoff. I don't count Monster in that range though. There are cables that cost an order of magnitude more than they do! But there are people that will pay ten grand for an amp, thirty grand for speakers. Heck, they'll pay millions for a house FAR larger than they need. That's just human nature.

Given that there are JUST as well documented tests where listeners CAN tell the difference between cables of different quality, the only thing left is to balance your needs against your budget. I do work for major labels, sometimes at home, sometimes in large facilities (sometimes in bedroom studios!), and the LAST thing any studio wants to do is waste time while they track down a tiny buzz to your cheap cables... Time is money.

If your needs are less critical than this, pick anything you like. But be prepared to sit and nod patiently while someone tells you that, however little you payed for them, you could have done it for less. No doubt you COULD have. Apparently, you didn't want to, though