Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Kingfrog.... imagine that your MoXS came with NO arps in it, or at least the ones that did basically sucked compared to your T3. And imagine that it's soundset was VERY hit and miss, and it was up to you to go out, and buy a bunch of VSTi's that took considerable skill and luck to 'play nice' with each other.

I doubt you would get it even if you COULD get it at cost...

What do you think 'arps' are? They are style Parts, plain and simple. Slightly different in concept, but essentially the same. Without them, your MoXS is a MUCH poorer keyboard. As the MS is without great styles.

If you are incorporating those arps in your music, you are no more making original music than if you used a style. You have to make your OWN before you can claim that...

Content, content, content... Any modern keyboard without this is poorer for it.

I would not be so much in a hurry to poo poo the Mediastation. After all you have not actually PLAYED one!! You can harp on me for dismissing $200 powered speakers based on specs, (recommended by someone who seems more concerned with thread post counts) for live use but you are hammering a keyboard with much more promise on paper without having even seen one!! MULTIPLE ASIO HOSTING?? Now there is something I would love to have on the PC DAW.

...What you are describing in your first paragraph is a DAW. Nothing wrong with a DAW. No Arps, No Voice set, yeah needs VSTis and sometimes they don't play nice......... yet its at the heart of every studio and production in the modern world.

Arps are not Styles...Arps are 4 or 8 beat loops that can be used in many DIFFERENT styles. A live Drummer is playing loops or 8 bars or more at a time. A live guitarist is playing loops of a chord progression, Hardly "styles"

A Style is a finished work, made up of multiple Arps meticulously assembled together by someone who is perfectly copying something that was already proven successful (as you once claimed yourself). Thats what Arrangers do. They regurgitate that which has already been successful. They produce the right soundsets with the chosen styles in the right tempos, EFX and combinations to reproduce cover tunes but is a tad handicapping and very restraining when creating something from nothing. The very thing that is the draw of them for an OMB is the bane of them for someone who rather enjoys creating original music. I found that out rather quickly but expected as much which led me to the Korg PA2x because it was the better Arranger "workstation". Turned out it was neither,

The Motif without the ARPS would be just another Work Station. A damn good one though. My Tyros cannot send 16 discrete tracks of Audio to the DAW in one pass with zero latency direct monitoring, (Took me awhile to get it to send 16 tracks of MIDI at once), nor will the T3 allow editable linear or Pattern recording. or control the DAW both ways, I cannot bring up a T3 voice and edit EIGHT different elements of the voice over endless variations keymaps, controllers, velocities, on and on....(but most don't need it)

I DO understand the promise regarding the MediaStation having both a Tyros, a 64 bit open source DAW, and the MoXS. IF it is indeed a combination on any level of those three elements it's a monster idea. And should do well for those inclined to create music rather then recreate it. DO I want one? No I have the bases covered but for someone who didn't I can understand the draw. Is it a tough sell. Yep Professional players on levels above weddings and Bar Mitzvahs don't use Arrangers. That should not be their market.I am not sure where their market is though. People who can appreciate their attempts like me already have a DAW,and usually a Workstation, or KB Controller and a crapload of VSTis.

And Arranger players are usually older guys who are not inclined to want to get involved with a computer on that level and instead want to press a few buttons and go. Left hand chords right hand accompaniment or melody........"Unforgettable...Thats what you are"

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 03-11-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA