with all due respect, i went thru similar
situation. i remember using the brass section on my roland d-20 thinking "man that sounds like a horn scetion to me." my singer said that it was to harsh sound. then i went to the korg i series arrangers.
i thought wow , this sounds great. then i went from the i series to the pa series and roland va series. i actually returned the pa sold the va because i couldn't get use to the change of sound (to my ears) and the operating system. i think my ears needed to adjust to the new sounds(in other words, give the new system a chance. its been over 3 years since i've bought a new keyboard. i do have comparison tapes of these keyboards ie. korg i 30, korg pa 80, korg pa 60,roland va76, yamaha psr 1000,1100,2100, tyros 1. i recently played those tapes and wow. i now hear the difference. each keyboard does have certain sounds that are better than the other,BUT not that much(with the exception of the old korg i series with the newer arrangers. if i were to buy a new setup, i personally would go with a tyros and a korg pa500 due to costs and my budget.
regards
dave