Sorry, Lucky... It all comes out as one long stream of consciousness (probably why I get in so much trouble! )

I have to admit, I am torn between European sensibilities towards music, and American ones. Been here for over 25 years, and yes, there are many things about Europeans, and their zest for life and participatory attitudes towards music that I miss over here greatly. Going to a football game is not the musical experience it is in England, that's for sure!

But, in fairness, I still have to disagree with your assessment of how people respond to more advanced playing over there to here. Sure, busking involves the lowest common denominator in most parts of the world, but you'll also have to face that jazz, as practiced by it's best (and what point is there in discussing any less? ANY form of music played by lesser mortals is a diminution of the real thing, whether jazz or anything else) is probably more respected, admired, and practiced by Europeans (or Americans in Europe) than it is over here, nowadays. So much for European sensibility!

Of course, I miss the Old World's joy of participation in music... Try to start a sing-along over here is the FASTEST way to kill a room , but on the other hand, play something they really like, and you get a level of sheer LISTENING that I didn't see in England that much. They (the English) want to join in, NOT listen, in many bars...

And also I'm sorry, but tailoring my repertoire for the audience I have is just as important here as anywhere else. Sure, I've got to trot out Margaritaville once a night, even Brown Eyed Girl, but if I play Baker Street, or some obscure UB40 thing, even if it isn't their first choice, do it justice and they still go crazy! I think that is the determining factor... In Europe, no matter how bad (or good!) you are, play the old chestnuts and you are in business. Over here, not even that can save you if you suck... Which way is better? Depends on how good you are, I guess!

In Europe, most music made in the last 50 years or more has either been heavily influenced by local folk musics, or heavily influenced by American music. Heck, even the Beatles started out as little more than a Chuck Berry influenced rock and roll band.

And while modern American music may not be to all us older types' taste, there is no doubt it is having the same influence on the world's music as anything from the sixties and seventies (or earlier!). From Bollywood to Latin, hiphop is making it's presence felt. Whether you like this is up to you, but let's face it... the influence is in that direction, not the other way around. To blame this on marketing is to ignore the basic principle... You can't make people like something if they DON'T. You can do a good job of selling them it when they DO, but you can't MAKE them like something (try it if you don't believe me!)...

I made a good living playing La Paloma Blanca and Tie a Yellow Ribbon back in the day in England. To be honest, the fact that I CAN'T over here is, IMO, a sign that things over here are quite healthy, as far as music and the public goes Sure, I may not be very good at playing the latest Snoop Dog or Timbalake cut, but at least, whether we like it or not, people over here are listening to something NEW, not mired in singing the same old forty or fifty year old hits their parents used to dance to!