Mike,
Other catagories would be sequencer abilities, button layout , digital effects processor power, rear jack outputs and inputs, etc.
I would rate the SD1 very low in the button pushing department after getting used to the X1 for example. I don't like where Solton has put the buttons on the SD1. My opinion for fast calling up of midi files and tweaking the sounds of midi files has always made me choose the Solton products over anyone elses. After using all the other models in my store, I would still favor these products for how fast and easy you can call up, play and change things quickly on the fly and then just push one button to store these changes. I would rate the Generalmusic WK6 and WK8 as having the most complete 32 track sequencers of any of the best arranger or pro keyboards. There sequencer offers a great screen, all types of record options and microscope edit functions.
I like the number and the quality of the effects processors best on the Yamaha keyboards over all the others. I love that the effects are stored with the sound and that when you change to any sound, the effects move with them. I dislike the multieffect the most on the Roland VA products because Roland didn't use very smart choices in their preset sounds. However, when I turn this effect off manually, I like not using the master effect completely and then the sounds sound much more realistic in the brass and woodwind catagorys. I can also pick one effect in this mode and just adjust the amount I want to use with all the sounds rather than having the multi change with each new sound I call up.
I really like the styles in the PA80 Korg but I don't love the way their files are handled in the hard drive directories. I get a little confused when selecting, opening, loading and closing directories. Being a Mac person and not a PC person, I find this less user friendly.
I love using the Roland touch screen but I wish there were dedicated buttons for selecting on and off of the 4 parts on the VA7 without having to use the touch screen.
As you can see, my list of favorites change within the catagorys that I am evaluating for different reasons. One day I love the features or sounds of one keyboard, and the next time I'm demoing a different keyboard in my store I really like the features of another.
You know, just today I receive a phone call from a customer in San Fransicso who bought an X1oriental keyboard from me a few days ago. He was like a kid in a toy store.....he just loved his new keyboard. He had never played or tried an X1 but heard from friends and through internet discussions how great this product is. Did he know this product had been available for over 2 years now? Not until he called me. Did he think this was a dated keyboard? Not at all and I played some of the styles for him over the phone....I showed him my knowledge and how much joy he'd get from owning a keyboard like this and he is thrilled. Had he asked me my opinion on the Yamaha 9000 pro or the PA80, he would have gotten an equally exited demonstation and overview from me. Every keyboard is a winner out there. Some are just better doing certain things for some people over others.
It's why i love what I do so much! Keep those new models coming all you manufactures so I can get my hands on them and give you all my impressions and reports. If all I had coming in were Motifs, Tritons, Fantoms, etc. I'd probably want to retire at 51 years of age!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)